Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help needed to extend my wifi so TC can be accessed..

Hi there,

Ive attached an image of my current network setup to help explain things. But basically, i am currently unable to access my Time Capsule (and attached USB drive) when I'm connected via my NicksWifi2 wifi signal downstairs. If I'm attached to the NicksWifi signal all works fine.

Is there anything I can easily do to make my TPlink router behave like it is my main router?

Ive seen wifi extenders (and ones that go through power http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBRGW8?colid=1O1PXGWZD901F&coliid=I3V052B XIQ2OD0&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl) but I'm not sure if id have the same problem if I bought one of these?

any help would be much appreciated as this is quite frustrating 😟

thanks!

Nick

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:06 AM

14 replies

Apr 27, 2015 5:46 AM in response to Nickholl

Is there anything I can easily do to make my TPlink router behave like it is my main router?

Not easily. You may have turned off the wireless on the Virgin modem/router, but it is still acting as a wired router for the network providing DHCP and NAT services. That is why the TC and TPLink access point both need to be in bridge mode to operate correctly on your network.

(Here, I am assuming that you have the TPLink in bridge mode since it is acting as a wireless access point, if you don't, then now would be a good time to change the setting on the TPLink to bridge mode).

If you want the TPLink router to act as the main router for the network you will need to do the following......

1) Configure the Virgin device to act only as a simple modem. That would mean setting it up in "modem mode"....which might also be called bridge mode.....which would include turning off both DHCP and NAT services. Whether or not this is even possible with the Virgin device is one question. How to do it is another question, and whether or not Virgin would support that type of the setup is yet another. Check with Virgin about that.

2) Assuming the Virgin device has been set up in modem mode or bridge mode, then the TPLink must be set up as a router to provide DHCP and NAT service for the network.

3) The TC should now be connected directly to the TPLink.....since the TPLink is the main router on the network.

Apr 27, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Bob Timmons

thanks - Ive tried putting the virgin router in modem mode, but then the TC didn't receive any internet (although i didn't set the TPlink to be a router).

My main problem is that Im not too clued up doing all this stuff 😟.

If I did what you suggested, would I not have the reverse problem when trying to access the TPlink from upstairs?

I was kind of hoping that one of these wifi extenders would come to my rescue -or would they not make any difference?

thanks for your help!

N

Apr 27, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Nickholl

Ive tried putting the virgin router in modem mode, but then the TC didn't receive any internet (although i didn't set the TPlink to be a router).

If you put the Virgin router in modem mode....and did not place the TP Link in router mode.....then you did not have any device acting as a router for the network.

You may really have a question for TPLink support here as far as your current setup is concerned. Since you posted on a support forum for Apple AirPorts, there will not likely be many users here who can provide technical information about a TPLink product.

IF....you had an Apple AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme instead of the TPLink device, then you would be able to do what you want. This assumes that the powerline adapters are working correctly, of course.

Apr 27, 2015 6:22 AM in response to Nickholl

The WiFi extender would work fine in the current setup that you have now.....IF.....you use another Apple product like another AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule. In other words, swap an AirPort for the TP Link on your current network.

The lesson to be learned here is that you always want to use products from the same manufacturer when you are trying to extend a network, since they will be compatible with each other.

Sorry, but I cannot comment on how well a WiFi extender from another manufacturer might work, since I have not tried them.

Apr 27, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Nickholl

The question that you asked in your original post was......

And, I provided the answer......

If you want the TPLink router to act as the main router for the network you will need to do the following......

1) Configure the Virgin device to act only as a simple modem. That would mean setting it up in "modem mode"....which might also be called bridge mode.....which would include turning off both DHCP and NAT services. Whether or not this is even possible with the Virgin device is one question. How to do it is another question, and whether or not Virgin would support that type of the setup is yet another. Check with Virgin about that.

2) Assuming the Virgin device has been set up in modem mode or bridge mode, then the TPLink must be set up as a router to provide DHCP and NAT service for the network.

3) The TC should now be connected directly to the TPLink.....since the TPLink is the main router on the network.

Obviously, to do this, you will be turning your network upside down and having to reconfigure everything. Note especially that the TC must now connect to the TPLink router......since you asked how to set things up so the TP link would behave as the main router.

So, your network would look like this.......

Virgin device (configured as modem only) > TP Link router > TC in bridge mode connected to the TP link router.

I'm not sure if you want to do this.....and I cannot say whether it do exactly what you want.....I don't have a TPLink device here to test.

Apr 27, 2015 6:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks

yes, I think that will probably just turn my problem on its head unfortunately 😟.

Im aware that this is an apple forum, so I should probably ask on a more generic forum somewhere else perhaps. At the end of the day, I just want my time capsule to be accessible from all around my house via wifi, and preferably without spending too much more money.

thanks again.

Apr 27, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Nickholl

Your setup should work.. as it stands.. but the TP-Link should be in WAP mode or WAN Bypass.

Go back to your original picture.

Virgin modem working as router (although having it bridged and the TC as main router is also fine).

Then the TP-Link (what model is this exactly??)

Should be in bridge .. which in this case means router bridge not wireless bridge. Unfortunately the terms are easily confused.

The easiest way IMHO is to use WAN bypass.

In the TP-Link router set the IP to something on the same network as the existing devices.. better though if outside the DHCP range.

eg.. virgin router is 192.168.1.1 (I have no idea what it actually is.. so you will need to fill that in).

Lets say the TC gets an IP of 192.168.1.10 from it.. could be anything.. and it is better to set it so it doesn't change.

Give the TP-Link a different IP.. and here is where you can strike problems.. Lets give it an IP of 192.168.1.100 but tell me if it doesn't stick.. or refuses the IP.. I have tried this setup and had issues..

Anyway .. if you can set the IP correctly to something in the range.. then turn off the dhcp in the TP-Link.

Plug your EOP adapter.. LAN of the upstairs to LAN of the TP-Link.. (hence the name.. bypass the WAN).

This is successful for 90% of routers. TP-Link routers sometimes have preset IP addresses that are not allowed.. it is always assumed that the TP-Link is going to be the main router.. but you can work around it..

It is going to help loads to have an actual model number.

And I want IP addresses of virgin modem and the TC.. I also want you to set the TC to always get the same IP otherwise this is really unreliable.

You can use this method to setup the TC..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

help needed to extend my wifi so TC can be accessed..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.