Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should i delete iPhoto app on my macbook now the app won't open?

Is there any point in me keeping the app on my macbook using space if i can never use it again?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:30 AM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2015 4:46 AM in response to DamoH25

Does iPhoto show a crossed out icon in the Applications folder? Then consider to update iPhoto to version 9.6.1. That version runs well on MacOS X 10.10.3. If you prefer iPhoto to Photos, or want to use iPhoto for the things that Photos cannot do, like adding Places or batch changing captions, then keep iPhoto.

The migration let iPhoto installed and also your iPhoto Library will still work with iPhoto.

And if you had updated to the latest version iPhoto 9.6.1 before you upgraded to MacOS X 10.10.3, you can simply drag iPhoto back to the Dock from your Applications folder and continue to use it. Double click iPhoto and confirm, that you want to open iPhoto and not Photos. It is not compulsory to use Photos, while it it still the first release. When you launch iPhoto, you will see a warning, that the iPhoto Library has been migrated to Photos, but simply click the "Open iPhoto" button.The library will still work with iPhoto. ()see: If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated - Apple Support

If your iPhoto version is not iPhoto 9.6.1, you need to update it.

See this User Tip:

Usually it will work to reinstall instead of updating:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the AppStore, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

Apr 27, 2015 5:08 AM in response to léonie

This is a brand new mac so it came already installed with all of the latest versions, but when i try and open iPhoto it says i need a newer version so takes me to the app store and then tells me the content isn't available in the uk. Ive looked on a few of the forums and it seems that iPhoto is being replaces with photos? So if theres nothing i can do shall i just delete app?

should i delete iPhoto app on my macbook now the app won't open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.