Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some sites won't load in Safari, compression issue I think

In the last few weeks I have found that Safari won't load pages from some sites, or it will load the page but fail to load the css/javascript files etc. In the console log it's all '[Error] Failed to load resource: The network connection was lost.'.

When I investigate the specific files or pages that don't load, I find they are compressed, so Safari seems to be having trouble specifically with compression. Furthermore, I can replicate this issue with some websites that I host on my own server, by switching HTTP compression on and off on the web server. With HTTP compression on, the pages fail, with it off, they load fine.

I'm just opening up the pages in an alternative browser when I run into ones that don't load but I'd rather find a fix for Safari. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If not then I guess something is corrupt in my own Safari installation and the only option is to reinstall OSX (which makes me nervous about losing data) unless there's a way to install Safari only or otherwise fix it?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:16 AM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Lunarbunnies

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Some sites won't load in Safari, compression issue I think

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.