Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine does not start anymore

Dear all

I am using the same external back up device since several months. I have now the problem that it does not back up anymore.

When I click on "back up now" the it says "Preparing backup....." and it remains this way for hours but it does not start to back up.

I have the external disk with a capacity of 1,000 GB and my used capacity of macbook pro is above 500 GB.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks for your support.

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:10 AM

Open Disk Utility>First Aid and run Verify and Repair. Any change?Ciao.

4 replies

Apr 27, 2015 5:28 AM in response to leonardopenaloza

Run Disk Utility, but if that doesn't solve the problem Time Machine may simply be busy the compacting existing backup and / or deleting expired backups. That can take hours, and if you really are using 500 GB it wouldn't be surprising if Time Machine backup volume is full. That's normal and to be expected, but deleting expired backups might take some time.

To determine what it's doing you can use Console, also in your Mac's Utilities folder. Open system.log and filter for "backupd". That will show you everything Time Machine is doing. Copy and paste those entries in a reply, if you wish. Obscure of delete any information you might consider personal before posting the reply.

Time machine does not start anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.