Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar Not Syncing

My Apple Watch is not updating with changes to my calendar. It has had a few hours to update, but still shows the old time for meetings I have scheduled today. I've restarted my watch and my iPhone 6+. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to force a re-sync of calendar data between my iPhone and watch?

Thanks!

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 8:03 PM

Yep -- that was it (I think). Unblocking it to actually sync to my watch had the unintended consequence of then triggering another issue (read: major bug) with "invitations": for some (stupid) reason, it decided to notify me for *every* unreplied invitation going back however long! So, for all those instances of repeating weekly meetings that I have not replied to, it synced them all to my watch as notifications (seemingly ignoring my iPhone preference which I was mirroring by default, which is to ignore invitations from my work calendar on my phone). Weird. So it took *forever* to eventually start showing the data (it really caused other problems in the interim; my watch was having serious problems doing anything that needed to communicate with my iPhone during that time).. but once it finally started presenting the alerts for all the previous invitations (I mean, we're talking about a hundred at least), I realized that was the problem now (flood gates = open).

So, I went back into the Apple Watch app on my iPhone (in somewhat of a panic) and edited the Calendar settings to explicitly disable alerting on invitation -- and voila! After a minute or two of waiting for it to re-sync, it seems to finally actually work!!!!!!

Thanks.

107 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 8:03 PM in response to slgoldberg

Yep -- that was it (I think). Unblocking it to actually sync to my watch had the unintended consequence of then triggering another issue (read: major bug) with "invitations": for some (stupid) reason, it decided to notify me for *every* unreplied invitation going back however long! So, for all those instances of repeating weekly meetings that I have not replied to, it synced them all to my watch as notifications (seemingly ignoring my iPhone preference which I was mirroring by default, which is to ignore invitations from my work calendar on my phone). Weird. So it took *forever* to eventually start showing the data (it really caused other problems in the interim; my watch was having serious problems doing anything that needed to communicate with my iPhone during that time).. but once it finally started presenting the alerts for all the previous invitations (I mean, we're talking about a hundred at least), I realized that was the problem now (flood gates = open).

So, I went back into the Apple Watch app on my iPhone (in somewhat of a panic) and edited the Calendar settings to explicitly disable alerting on invitation -- and voila! After a minute or two of waiting for it to re-sync, it seems to finally actually work!!!!!!

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2017 7:22 AM in response to jackinmaine

I am having all these issues and have worked through many of these possible solutions without any luck (removing calendars, reset sync data, etc.). My watch calendar events will not update unless I open the Calendar app on my iPhone, then everything syncs within seconds. I have 2 google calendar accounts and input events from a web browser on my desktop.

My current "solution" is to open Calendar every time I make a change to my google events so at least things are up to date.

It seems to me like the choke point is that the Calendar app on the phone isn't getting the updated notifications from google calendar until I open the app on my phone. Every time I open my Calendar app on the phone I can see it updating the old events to the current ones.

No one has replied in a while so I was wondering if there had been any resolution as the "solved" answer didn't work for me.

Apr 28, 2015 5:54 AM in response to JoeSchu

I worked with Apple Support yesterday to find possible reasons for my calendar data not syncing correctly. What seemed to work was reducing the number of calendars I have to choose from with my work google apps-based email account. I had 25 calendars listed under that account. I dropped the number of calendars down to about 4, reset my watch (again :-( ) and it now seems to be working.

The upshot is that the phone-to-watch sync choked when there were too many calendars in an account. Further, just selecting a few calendars to show didn't work. I could actually see the non-selected calendar data displaying on the watch.

Apr 28, 2015 6:26 PM in response to jackinmaine

Can you confirm -- how did you actually "reduce" the number of calendars it needed to sync to the watch???

I am missing something here. Do you mean, on your iPhone? Did you change this in the Calendar app itself, on the iPhone, or in the Settings?

There are several places to do various things, so here's what I have (and I'm getting nothing) so any pointers on what you're doing differently could help me and others resolve this. (Note: I'm also using a calendar via a Google account as you are, so I think if I can copy your set-up, my problem could actually finally be resolved.) So far, I've only ever seen "No events this week" in a frustratingly uninformative Apple Watch experience. :-(

On iPhone:

* In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts > my Google account > Calendars slider switched to "on" (all other sliders off)

* In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Calendars > Sync is set to "Events 2 Weeks Back" (minimum value just in case)

* In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Calendars > Default Calendar is set to my primary work calendar in the Google account

* In Settings > iCloud > Calendars slider switched to "off" (no iCloud calendar; I've tried both options, no change)

* In Calendar > Calendars (bottom button) > unchecked all calendars except my one primary work calendar in the Google account.

Or did you do something in iCloud, either on your Mac or on your iPhone, or on the web? It's hard to figure out whether the Apple Watch is displaying the content of my iPhone's built-in Calendar app, or if it's displaying its own version of the iCloud calendar somehow. If the latter, I can't work out how to tell iCloud to subscribe to any real calendars aside from the two pre-loaded calendars you can subscribe to in iCloud (birthdays of friends, and national holidays).

And of course, there are absolutely no useful settings on the iPhone "Apple Watch" app relating to Calendar. It just shows the alerting options, nothing about which account to display, and certainly nothing as fine-grained as which calendar to display (within the accounts). Note: I hate the idea that I have to sacrifice my full iPhone experience just to get it to sync to my watch, but I'll do it, I suppose, if there's a way to make it display anything more than "No events this week" which is driving me insane. :-(

Also, do I have to wait some undetermined period of time to even test any changes out? How do I know if the changes I made will eventually actually propagate to the watch? It's impossible to understand the model here: whether it's my iPhone that's loading the data, or if it's a back-end iCloud service that's polling the feed periodically. On the iPhone, there's also the setting to say whether to use fetch or push, but of course for these types of feeds, it only offers fetch or manual. So that doesn't really tell me much. :-(

Thanks for any pointers.

Steve (without any events on my Apple Watch calendar)

Apr 28, 2015 7:20 PM in response to slgoldberg

Update: After making the above changes (deselecting all but my primary work calendar from my Google Apps account on my iPhone), my watch still shows absolutely nothing.

So, I re-read all the text, and started to realize, you may actually be talking about Google Calendar itself (as opposed to the Apple iPhone or iCloud subscription to that calendar). I am now guessing that you mean there's a bug (or limitation) that is breaking syncing specifically to the watch, accounts that themselves actually have too many calendars subscribed within them.

For those of you who don't know what I mean: this only applies to people who use Google Apps in particular (which many companies use, including mine). It turns out that Google Calendar has a feature that lets you see others' calendars overlaid with your own. Let's say I happen to work at a big enough company that there are literally thousands of calendars to potentially subscribe to. Let's say that I have been working there for over 10 years, and I have over time accumulated a huge list of subscriptions to other people's calendars, since just *once* long ago, I happened to view each person's calendar overlaid with my own (which Google Calendar makes ridiculously easy -- there's no explicit subscription feature, you simply search for their calendar right on the main calendar view, and it auto-completes to all the employees of the company that uses Google Apps for their calendar and/or email), and *blammy* you are subscribed the second you hit the tab key (even if you then hide the newly-subscribed calendar right away).

So, when I went to look just now in my calendar (on Google Calendar for my company's domain), I found that I was subscribed to upwards of 150 calendars (!!). The reason I figured this out was because the original poster here mentioned having 25 calendars listed, which is far more than I had just in terms of my own calendars (i.e., different shared team calendars for groups I work with, etc.). And I thought, "Why would anyone have 25 calendars?" Then I remember this crazy feature of Google Calendar where it auto-subscribes you just because you looked at someone's calendar. And so now I'm guessing this is exactly what's going on in my case -- at least, it sure makes a lot more sense now that it may be the problem.

So why haven't I already tested this theory and come up with the answer? Well, unfortunately, it's non-trivial to unsubscribe from calendars (despite it being trivial to subscribe in the first place). There may be a way to script it, but failing that, you have to manually unsubscribe from each calendar, and click confirm each time (there's no default so you can't just hit enter, ugh!). So, since I have literally 150 calendars or so to go through, I thought I'd post my breakthrough first, in case the original poster sees this before I'm done. I'll post again when I know for sure if that was it.

Steve

Apr 28, 2015 8:00 PM in response to slgoldberg

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Calendars.I am using iCloud and Exchange Calendars and can see current and future events for all but my 2nd Exchange Calendar (I think this is definitely a bug).

I just wanted to point out that, despite the "Mail Days to Sync" setting for my Calendars on the iPhone, the Watch does not show any past appointments. It only shows today and future events regardless of whether it is an Exchange or iCloud Calendar (I do not have any Google Calendars).

Good luck.

May 4, 2015 8:18 AM in response to JoeSchu

Reducing the number of calendars being synced doesn't apply to me - I only have 2 (work [exchange] and personal [google calendar]). The meeting that wasn't being synced was on my exchange calendar.

The changing of the event to private did force a re-sync of the calendar data between my apple watch and iPhone. I changed it back to public after the re-sync was complete - however this appears to have queued 2 "15 min warning" notifications to occur (which just happened now).

This is definitely a bug but at least there is a work around (for now).

Also for folks that do this - be aware that if you have other invitees on your meeting it will trigger (potentially multiple) meeting update e-mails to be sent out to everybody.

Calendar Not Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.