Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I "show in finder" a selected photo?

I see the "new" "show referenced file in Finder" but it's not active even when I have a photo selected. (I'm not awed with this change, Apple)

Why can't the photo simply be "drug" to the directory ... for instance, uploading in a webpage? There's "share" ... but I don't want the photo "on the wall" of Facebook, I want it in a specific album. When I want to copy it to a thumbdrive ... click/drag is the standard, but it's never worked with iPhoto ... & it seems, it STILL doesn't work with the iOS-looking "photo." sigh.

appreciate an email response as I don't check this forum very often. (I think that's on the profile, right?)

Thanks, y'all.

Al

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:13 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Mr. Devlin.

In the past, I was dragging the photo in iPhoto to the upload window "search" line & it'd find the file in the iphoto library. But that wasn't working with the new "photos" program.'

I'd still rather click/drag, since I'd already located it, but I guess Apple knows what's best. 😮

Have a great one!

Al

Apr 28, 2015 7:11 AM in response to boots16

boots16 wrote:

When I want to copy it to a thumbdrive ... click/drag is the standard, but it's never worked with iPhoto ... & it seems, it STILL doesn't work with the iOS-looking "photo." sigh.

FWIW, you can drag a photo, video, or a selection of several items from the Photos main window into a folder (including the desktop), but you get a recompressed version at a (non-adjustable) fixed pixel resolution that is typically lower than the original, & it will be the edited version if you have edited the photo in Photos. Because of the recompression & resolution changes, it can take from a fraction of a second to many minutes for the dropped copies to appear in the folder, particularly if you are dropping multiple items and/or large video files.

However, if you hold down the option key during the drag & drop, you get an unaltered version of the original(s) & the process takes no longer than a normal file copy.

This may be useful for copying to thumb drives.

Jul 17, 2015 8:11 PM in response to boots16

Here's one trick I figured out - it's very clunky, but it works. If you pick the photo or video you want, then right/control-click it, there is a "Get Info" selection in the menu. That info popup will have the actual file name in it. Copy that and paste it into spotlight. Then when spotlight finds it, pick "show all in finder". Then you can get to the folder containing the file you want. You have to be careful not to hit return in spotlight, or it will just shoot you right back to that item displayed in Photos.

It's easier to get to the item if you have the "Path Bar" turned on in the Finder, under View => Show Path Bar. Then you can double-click the enclosing folder in the path bar, and see all the files in context. I think you can seriously bork up Photos if you do anything to any of these files. That's why Apple tries so hard to keep you out of there. So just copy what you want, and if you want to then remove it from Photos, delete it via the Photos interface, not by dragging things around in the finder.

how do I "show in finder" a selected photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.