Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop sign when turning on macbook pro

My macbook pro was running very slowly, sometimes not loading web pages and always crashing, I decided to upgrade to Yosemite, it made it worse for a few hours but then suddenly my macbook was running quickly and normally, I thought it was fixed. Today I kept getting the rainbow pinwheel, every few seconds, I had to restart my macbook several times (this took ages as there is a loading bar when I entered my password) but now I am just getting a weird grey stop sign and I am unable to sign in or even get on my macbook. I should also note that the fan was very loud these past few days, now I can't hear it at all.

I have only had this macbook for about 9 months and don't have the money to get a new one, is there anyway to fix it at home, or will I have to take it into a store?

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:25 AM

2 replies

Apr 27, 2015 7:41 AM in response to kitty19944

What model MacBook Pro? Could be that the HD failed. The stop sign means that a boot drive could not be found

Try safe mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

Boot to Recovery and try repairing the HD

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Last reinstall Yosemite.

OS X Yosemite: Reinstall OS X

If still problem that indicates a failed HD

Stop sign when turning on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.