Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to embed chord information in a song?

Can Logic Pro X embed 'chord change' information in a song in some way? For example, is there an a simple obvious way, like a 'chord information global track', that I'm overlooking? Or is there a more convoluted way to get chord information in a song, somehow using the 'Environment'?

This seems like a very basic necessity of a DAW for composers, so I must be overlooking something?

We all agree, right, that this is basic western music theory: chords form the structure of songs? (A music philosophy question.) For instance, a human 'voice instrument' can sing the melody, but the polyphonic instrument brings the support structure.

So when we record a song, it is not atypical to associate a chord tablature with a score. Indeed, it is often the case that only a chord tablature is provided, and is quite sufficient in itself, to carry a song.

So where is the ability to read (i.e., CONVEY and INTERPRET with Midi/OSC exchange) chord tablature in Logic Pro? This is supposedly a 'Pro' application, right? So Logic can read a song 'position', with markers, whereby a secondary app can take that marker position to que song location [e.g., song position (i.e., marker notated) can be recognized by an application like MainStage to quickly switch to various song locations, like the 'intro' or 'chorus']. So with a change in song 'position', a song will typically have a change in song 'chord structure'. Therefore if the Midi instrument can recognize (without human intervention) this embedded (notated) 'chord structure' (which I'm having trouble finding), it should be able to change the Midi notes it is playing to properly accompany the song's 'chord structure'.

Because what I just described should be somewhat obvious and intuitive to professional musician/composers, where in Logic Pro is the ability to embed 'Chord Structure' information, that I evidently am overlooking? Hopefully, some of the experienced 'pros', like Nigel, will chime in here.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:34 AM

8 replies

Apr 27, 2015 9:29 AM in response to JD321

This is a "sad" topic because Logic 9 had such a feature and it was removed in Logic Pro X, and I still don't know why.😠

It was one of the Global Tracks and was called "Chords". I relied heavily on that Global Track because it displayed the chord progression in your song/cue along the Ruler like the Marker Track.

You could enter the chords manually, similar like markers, but often I just recorded one MIDI track playing chords and all I had to do was dragging that Region up to the Chord Global Track and it retrieved the chord symbols out of the MIDI notes I played in the MIDI Region (pretty accurate).

I still hope that Chord feature will return to LPX in some shape or form because, as you mentioned, Logic is a Pro app.

The only workaround is to use the Score Editor with the the Chord Symbol and have a separate window open with it. Not a pretty solution, but at least something

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Apr 27, 2015 9:43 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Edgar wrote:

This is a "sad" topic because Logic 9 had such a feature and it was removed in Logic Pro X, and I still don't know why.😠

This is the emoticon for SHOCKED: 😮!

That emoticon inadequately convey's a proper response to your answer, Edgar, particularly for those folks that purchased Logic, thinking they would get an upgrade (NOT a DOWNGRADE) to features already existing in the program!

Apr 27, 2015 9:56 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

😠

It was one of the Global Tracks and was called "Chords". I relied heavily on that Global Track because it displayed the chord progression in your song/cue along the Ruler like the Marker Track.

You could enter the chords manually,

Yes, this is what I'm looking for, in its simplest incarnation, to just enter chord progression information manually, without interpretive error. Although this simple functionality was a neglected addition in GarageBand, why is it missing in the 'Pro' Logic?

Apr 27, 2015 10:01 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

...often I just recorded one MIDI track playing chords and all I had to do was dragging that Region up to the Chord Global Track and it retrieved the chord symbols out of the MIDI notes I played in the MIDI Region (pretty accurate).

Mind Boggling!😮😮😮

The program at one time even had the ability to perform chordal note analysis and record the chords! That would be a useful educational tool! It would have a whole host of uses, including what I'm trying to do, which is trigger the Midi notes that dynamically and automatically change according to the song's chord progression.

Apr 27, 2015 10:16 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

The only workaround is to use the Score Editor with the the Chord Symbol and have a separate window open with it. Not a pretty solution, but at least something

User uploaded file

Thank you very much for your suggestion, which is a start! But is that Chord Symbol information available for 'Midi Interpretation'? Can one somehow use it to alter the Midi notes being triggered by their Midi controller? That is, can Logic (or MainStage or...?) use that Chord Symbol information, through conveyance of interpretive Midi messages? (Sorry if this has an obvious answer, to someone already familiar with what you describe.)

Apr 27, 2015 11:56 AM in response to JD321

JD321 wrote:

User uploaded file

... is that Chord Symbol information available for 'Midi Interpretation'? Can one somehow use it to alter the Midi notes being triggered by their Midi controller? That is, can Logic (or MainStage or...?) use that Chord Symbol information, through conveyance of interpretive Midi messages? (Sorry if this has an obvious answer, to someone already familiar with what you describe.)

This is what I've found so far on the Score Editor Chord Symbol:

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=31%26se ction=16

"Chord symbols are text objects designed for fast chord entry."

Based on that info, I doubt (but don't yet know for sure) whether they can translate over into the Midi realm for song structure composition/editing.

(Note, that link is to the Logic Pro 9 user manual, and I have yet to find a reference that succinctly and unbiasedly informs the reader what features APPLE HAS REMOVED from Logic Pro X. )

Apr 30, 2015 8:19 AM in response to JD321

I, too, miss this feature a great deal, and I haven't found a good solution yet. What I used to be able to do was to sit down at a keyboard and freely improvise. Once I had something, I would cut out the part(s) I wanted and follow the written chord progression on the screen as I added other tracks. It was a very efficient way to work.

I suppose that Cubase with their Chord Track would do precisely what I want (and then some). However, I really like everything else about Logic and its workflow,etc. And, after investing countless hours learning and using the program for years I really am not interested in jumping ship.

BUT BOY SOME KIND OF CHORD TRACK WOULD BE NICE.

paul

Is there any way to embed chord information in a song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.