Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro replacement battery slow charge

I have a mid-2010 15-inch Macbook Pro. I purchased a NewerTech NuPower 78 Watt-hour battery from www.macsales.com. I bought this reputable brand of battery from a reputable website not to cut cost, but to have a high-capacity battery. After replacing, I noticed that it said "20:00 until charged" and it took about 25 hours to fully charge the battery from 0%. I tried reseting SMC and NVRAM several times with no success. I tried calibrating the battery several times with no success. I also tried using several other identical power adapters with no success. I called the very nice tech support people at www.macsales.com and they walked me through several reset procedures for SMC and NVRAM, and of course with no success. I then asked them to send me a replacement battery, to see if perhaps the first battery they sent was defective. The second battery did the exact same thing. At this point, the only thing I knew to do was do a clean install of Yosemite, which I completed yesterday. Still, no success. I am starting to think that maybe the problem is the logic board. Any ideas here? Is there a way to test if the logic board is defective before I consider investing the money in one? Any help here would be great.

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5567

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7306

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 0

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -1853

Voltage (mV): 11758

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 7:28 AM

24 replies

Apr 27, 2015 8:20 AM in response to sta81191

Just to know, are you still using the original 85 watts charger to charge the Newer Tech Nu Power 78 watts battery....??

If your are using anything less then a 85 watts charger, like the 60 watts charger, then your 78 watts battery is gonna take a lot of time to charge.

If that not the case, then you should probably check your battery connector, connecting it to the logic board. Try to take out the battery again and clean the battery connector ports on the logic board with a very fine paint brush as well as the connector connecting the battery.

I am a bit skeptical about the logic board being at fault. If that was the case, then you might have got kernel panics and several other problems but you have only very slow battery charging problem.

If that doesn’t help either, then try replacing the mag safe port on your macbook pro. It may be faulty.

Please, before thinking of replacing the logic board or another battery, simply try out the tweaks I have suggested.

Hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Grane Duke

Thanks so much Grane Duke!

I am using the original charger that came with it, which I think is 85w. I can double check on that.

Great suggestion about the battery connector. I will try that when I get home.

I am glad you are skeptical about the logic board. And yes you are correct, no other problems than the slow charging.

Do you have a link for a recommended mag safe port to purchase? I did notice the port is pretty dirty, I am going to try cleaning that with a brush as well.

Yes, I will definitely try your suggestions. Very helpful! I will give an update after I give these a try. Thanks again!

Apr 28, 2015 6:10 AM in response to sta81191

You can buy it from here if the original is defective....https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/MacBook-Pro-Unibody-13-Inch-and-15-Inch-MagSa fe-DC-In-Board/IF163-011-1

Please follow these instructions for gaining access to the mag safe DC in board........https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+MagSafe+DC-In+ Board+Replacement/3098

Hope this helps.....

Apr 29, 2015 5:00 PM in response to sta81191

Unfortunately, you have been given some inaccurate and misleading information.

Your MacBook Pro battery is non-removable and not designed to be replaced by anyone other than Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider. Return it for a refund and have Apple replace it. Apple may refuse to service a product that has had unauthorized repairs.

Apr 30, 2015 2:57 AM in response to John Galt

John, before posting a senseless comment like this, you should have done some research before ruling out my suggestions.

15” mid 2010 macbook pro battery is user upgradable and can be changed by anyone. ifixit had rated the battery replacement as “Easy”....

See for yourself....https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Battery+Replac ement/3024

Also, the battery purchased by the users is a high quality compatible NewerTech battery from OWC. This vendor won’t supply any low quality or incompatible battery. The OP had twice exchanged the battery for the new one but the same result. That proves that something is wrong with either mag safe port or the logic board.

Henceforth, please do not try to vault over without having any concrete proof of evidence.

Apr 30, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Grane Duke

Am I to understand you would now like to divert this discussion to memory upgrades?

If so please post a new Discussion:

User uploaded file

Practically it is possible to change whatever you wish, but non-removable battery replacement is not among the few permitted by Apple. Apple may also refuse to service a Mac that has has unauthorized repairs specifically prohibited by its support documentation. "Please do not deny this fact."

Macbook Pro replacement battery slow charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.