Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme 5th Gen. Unusable 2.4 ghz band

Hello,

I am recently have several issues with my setup.

I have an Airport Extreme A-C - the latest one available to purchase. (1)

I have an Airport Extreme (the previous version) downstairs extending this unit wireless (2)

I have a 5th gen airport extreme extending the A-C (1) via a wired connection

I am extending the 5ghz channel on all of them.

My connection at home is a 100 mb download and 20 mb upload. My wired connection to my cpu is very consistent with these speeeds.

My wireless through put has been nothing short of terrible. My 2.4 ghz channel will not get more than 2 mb download and most of the time it will just fail. Currently, none of my devices see the 2.4 channel or if they do, they cannot connect to it. but if they do connect to it, it is an unusable speed to do anything.

I have a large space to cover 8000 sq. ft over three floors. Any suggestions? If i cannot connect to 2.4 even when standing right next to 1 - is it safe to assume that i am having a hardware failure with the 2.4 ghz channel and thus unable to connect to it?

Please advise. any suggestions are welcome.

DNS

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:14 AM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Eagle1977

My wireless through put has been nothing short of terrible. My 2.4 ghz channel will not get more than 2 mb download and most of the time it will just fail. Currently, none of my devices see the 2.4 channel or if they do, they cannot connect to it. but if they do connect to it, it is an unusable speed to do anything.

Power off the entire network.......everything.....modem, AirPorts, computers, mobile devices, printers, etc......in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Power up the modem and let it run a few minutes

Power up the AirPort Extreme ac connected to the modem and let it run a full minute

Power up a few other devices....laptops, tablets, iPhones, etc.....one at a time about a minute apart

Do NOT power up either of the extending AirPort Extremes

Check each the wireless devices when they are in close range of the AirPort Extreme ac

Report on your results with 2.4 GHz

Airport Extreme 5th Gen. Unusable 2.4 ghz band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.