Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't move new photos to events nor folders in Photo

In iPhoto, I created a new event each month, with names such as "2015 April" or "2015 March Moab vacation". All of my photos would go in there. And in iTunes, I would synchronize the last 6 months of events with my phone and pad.

Now, I add a photo to Photos, and wanted to organize it. I don't see how to create a new event. I could create a new folder inside of the iPhoto events folder - but I can't drag new photos to that folder. I can't create a new folder elsewhere. What does this folder do?

The only thing I have been able to do is create a new album and drag the photos there. Can I convert events to albums?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:11 AM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Howard Brazee

Moments in Photo are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Album/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Apr 28, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Old Toad

I asked for the further sorting option, thanks. I wonder if I will get any feeback (Apple doesn't tell us when it will fix its Photos/National Geographic problem with the screen saver).

Finding my events involves a lot of scrolling. I don't know how many photos I have in my 38,600,322,776 bytes (38.87 GB on disk) library.

I just created an album in Photo, named it "Moab vacation", then selected a bunch of photos from that vacation. My iTunes is set up to synchronize photos from the last 6 months with my iPad. I synchronized and looked at Albums in my iPad's photos. I suppose the photos are there - but not the album name, I need to manually select the album in iTunes as well.

In iPhoto, I could select events from the last 6 months automatically. Not it appears that I can only select photos from the last 6 months automatically.

I can't move new photos to events nor folders in Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.