Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erratic magic mouse behavior

Will anybody ever be able to decipher what the specific causes are for the erratic behavior of Apple's Magic Mouse? Personally I think it boils down to the Bluetooth Signal itself that can cause a lot of this erratic behavior, like in sudden sluggishness of movement. I see this behavior comes and goes as if some invisible force has suddenly intervened. My best guard against erratic behavior is to have the computer as close to the mouse as possible, even a foot or two. The further out the computer gets the more erratic behavior is likely, but like I said, even then it "comes and goes." Do you think it is the Bluetooth signal itself, because sometimes when it's become erratic I move the computer around, even which way it faces in relation to the mouse and I can suddenly "lock on" and the mouse returns to normal, only to have it start acting up again in a few hours or later on in the day or week or whatever. That's why I say the signal itself is suspect because I can effect the behavior by moving the computer around. Maybe the signal is effected by other components in the room like my TV or Audio Equipment or WIFI signals or remote controls.

I love my Magic Mouse and that is why I have put up with this erratic behavior struggle I'm constantly/periodically having, but I do wish this problem could be eradicated altogether and i could just use the mouse like it was intended. Incidentally, this is a brand new mouse I'm currently using that is at issue. All my other Magic Mouse have also done this exact same behavior.

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:28 AM

8 replies

Apr 27, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Dan Cremeans

Hello Dan,

I have just replied similarly to another poster and part it may help you. You don't say if you have upgraded your 10.7.1 to Yosemite, which seems to cause so many problems with mice. Assuming that you haven't it is quite likely you have a problem with interference. That can come from many sources ... The new smart TVs linked to your computer, electronic items like new air conditioning, Telephone base units where you have multiple telephones involved ... even drinks fridges have been identified. If your computer is against a wall and a powel electronic item is on the other side of that wall, that too can be a problem. Nor should we forget the second mouse or trackpad in the vicinity.

But if it could be due to upgrading to Yosemite, I cannot help. It is causing many problems. I suggest you send feedback to the product feedback section.

Apr 27, 2015 10:55 AM in response to seventy one

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3. I'm certain much of what you posted is definitely a likelihood for some of the issues. I have a lot of electronic equipment in this house, and yes, smart tv's connected to WIFI as well as other computers throughout the house. Apple of course does not mention any of this as possible issues as far as I know, the public, like myself, just assumes all will be wonderful. I know there are more like me out there if I'm having these consistent problems with all the Magic Mouses' I've owned. It really is attacking it from the SIGNAL side of things because I think that is the only issue that's going on. If it were addressed more, maybe even scientifically, maybe we could say, "well don't put it here, this can cause problems, and that TV, keep such and such a distance." Those are the types of guidelines that would be so helpful. But from what I'm seeing none of that is addressed at all (or for the most part). Anyway, I really want the wireless mouse world (specifically the Magic Mouse) to thrive. Every time I hook up a wired mouse I really feel the step back I'm taking and it's too painful! I've even went to the point, and I'll do it again if need be, of having my computer (Mac Mini) 2 inches from the Magic Mouse, that's when it operated at its very best. My only problem with that is it's somewhat impracticable, and I really don't think I should have to do that to have it work consistently. Anywho, my two cents worth.

Apr 27, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Dan Cremeans

Two separate matters.

One. Your profile (in your Bio section) says what machine you have and what OS you are using.

Yours (amongst others) says you have Mac OS X 10.7.1. But now you tell us you are on Yoselite 10.10.3 So your profile needs to be updated to show that system. It helps us answer your question more appropriately and without guess work.

Two. In the same section you can go to Edit Avatar and choose one from the selection offered. You cannot use anything other than what is offered until you have reached level Two. That means you have answered other peoples questions and been rewarded with points. You need 150 points to get to level Two.

Apr 28, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Dan Cremeans

I can be sitting here using the magic mouse, like i'm doing now, nothing has moved, nothing has changed, yet all of a sudden it goes jerky on me. What caused that? Something happened, but there is no indication of what that might be. I suspect others are experiencing this as well, I can't believe I'm some kind of isolated incident. If I could find out what that "hidden variable" was, perhaps such a clue could help solve the great mystery.

erratic magic mouse behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.