Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover photo names?

When I drop my photos into their Events, I title (name) the photos. I start their names with a YYYY/DD/MM format (so they automatically sort by date). As I am dealing with a lot of old photos (scans, etc.), I do not want to use the date the photos were added to Photos, but want the pictures to sort according to their naming scheme. This worked GREAT in iPhoto, and I had thousands of photos named (and auto-sorted) in this way.

When I upgraded Photos, most photos in my Events lost their titles (though file names remained the same). Everything is out of order now, and the photo names are only accessible if I seek-out the file names for each one. Individually. Thousands of them.

To further complicate this, not all of the Events suffered this change - only some of them! A few of the Events still show the photo names as I had originally entered them (in iPhoto).

How do I recover the names/titles of the photos and make them display in Photos the way they did in iPhoto?

Thanks for your help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:53 AM

iPhoto would show the filename as the title of a photo by default, but Photos does not do that. To see the titles below the photos in Photos, you have to copy the filenames to the title fields. That is a lot of work to do manually. I write a little Automator workflow to do that automatically for selected photos, you can try it out:

See this user tip: Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filename w/Extension

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 9:53 AM in response to ClassicalWhit

iPhoto would show the filename as the title of a photo by default, but Photos does not do that. To see the titles below the photos in Photos, you have to copy the filenames to the title fields. That is a lot of work to do manually. I write a little Automator workflow to do that automatically for selected photos, you can try it out:

See this user tip: Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filename w/Extension

Apr 27, 2015 7:34 PM in response to léonie

I have tried running the script in both of the formats you had posted with "return input" as the next-to-last line (your screenshot), and also without "return input" as the next-to-last line (the text of your instructions). I only get syntax error messages:User uploaded file

I downloaded your document.wlfow from your Dropbox, but it will not open when clicked.

Any suggestions?

How do I recover photo names?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.