Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does setting up home sharing on 2 new macbooks force us to deal with the 90-day activation limitation?

I just bought 2 new macbook airs (1 for me and 1 for my wife). We were on PC's (laptops). We have ALWAYS used external drives to store our independent libraries on. My devices never get plugged in and sync'd to her laptop and her devices never get plugged in and sync'd with my laptop. We had home sharing set up and it worked without any issues. I could pull from her library into mine and play that pulled content through iTunes and/or sync it to my devices and play it without issue. Same thing for my wife - she could pull from my library into hers and play without issue through her iTunes or any of her devices.

After the ridiculous ordeal of transferring our libraries onto new external hard drives (mac formatted of course), we are ready to use home sharing like before and sync our devices. When we set up home sharing on our new macbooks, will we face the 90-day authorization limit and essentially lock ourselves out of our macbooks? For example, if I set up homesharing on my macbook and activate it by entering her apple ID, will I have to wait 90 days to be able to log in to iTunes with my apple ID again? Two Level-2 techs from Apple support are telling me that is the case. Does anyone know if that is true? I find if strange (and annoying if true) that by moving to a mac which supposed to be much "easier" that I can't pull and play the content of shared libraries via home sharing without being locked out of my own authorized apple ID. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 8:31 AM

There are no replies.

Does setting up home sharing on 2 new macbooks force us to deal with the 90-day activation limitation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.