Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer Freezing With Sleep & Refusing Restart

Last night I shut down my iMac and went to bed, woke up and when it restarted; it froze on a blank gray/white screen. The cursor was present with a phalanx of little black bars along with it. I restarted the computer in safety mode and it works; however no sound and couldn't really do much. So I did a regular restart and the computer has been operating fine, the cursor looked normal too. Until I took a shower, it fell asleep, I came back, and it was frozen again. The cursor could move about with it's little phalanx but I couldn't do anything.

My mac will now only start with safety and won't get out and I'm afraid if I shut it down/sleep it I basically will have to go through a complicated ballet every time for it to function properly. What can I do?

Mac OS X Lion v10.7.5

Early 2008 model

Processor 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

This is what I'm talking about for the cursor:

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:31 AM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2015 9:45 AM in response to GSimatar

I suspect it is having a hardware failure. Locate disk 2 of the original install discs that shipped with the computer and begin Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support. Run AHT 2-3 times in extended mode back to back. The reason for running multiple times is AHT does not always find errors after the first or second pass, however when it does they are accurate.

If errors are found (or if you cannot locate the disc) please take the machine to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be professionally diagnosed. Then you can choose whether you want to repair it or not. If you don't know of an AASP in your area please click https://locate.apple.com/country to begin finding one.

Good luck.

Computer Freezing With Sleep & Refusing Restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.