Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6+ with iOS 8.3 - Cellular Data Being Used When Not Checked?

I have been having a problem with my cellular data usage on my iPhone 6 Plus since I updated to iOS 8.3. I had my iTunes and App Store settings set to automatically download Updates only (auto updates off for Music, Apps and Books) and "Use Cellular Date" switched off (i.e., my phone should use Wi-Fi only to update my apps but that does not appear to have been happening). Since updating to iOS 8.3, my phone has been using cellular data at times when I know it is connected to a good Wi-Fi network either at home or at work. My cellular service provider is Verizon.

I normally use about 3-5 GBs of data for my phone in a typical month. So far in April 2015 my phone has used over 14GB of data.

Has anyone had something similar happen? When I searched the forums there was an old thread (from 2012 or so) that indicated a similar prior problem was fixed when Verizon released a carrier update, but I do not see any carrier updates on my phone (version now is Verizon 19.0). Any ideas? Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, Wi-Fi not used for app updates

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:48 AM

In Settings you want to enable Airplane mode. Then tap on the wireless setting and turn on wireless. This will completely disable any cellular activity but still leave Wi-Fi active.

3 replies

Apr 27, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. I know that I can completely turn off cellular data and leave the Wi-Fi going, but that sort of defeats the whole point of having a smartphone to have with you to check on email, etc. I will likely have to do this unless there is some fix that will ensure the phone does not use cellular data to update apps even when the software switch for that option is not in the "ON" position.

iPhone 6+ with iOS 8.3 - Cellular Data Being Used When Not Checked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.