Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What counts as "exercise" for the green ring??

Does anyone know what counts as "exercise"? i.e. what does it take to advance the green ring?? All the apple watch info I've seen says "brisk walk". I went for an "outside walk" using the workout app today. I walked for 56 minutes, and did 3.18 miles, with an average heart rate of 128. Yet it only counted as 17 minutes towards my green exercise ring!! What gives? We can't all be Christy Turlington training for a marathon! I'm an out-of-shape working mom with a baby! That's about as good "exercise" as I get these days.

My resting heart rate is pretty low, usually 55-65, so 128 is a pretty decent burn! I think that was a brisk walk! Maybe other people walk faster, but I was pushing a stroller and there were some decent hills.

So does anyone know what the criteria are? Does your heart rate have to be above a certain threshold?

One other thought I had- I was pushing the stroller so my left arm wasn't swinging at my side- could that affect how it measures my motion?

And, would it have made a difference if I had called it "outside run" instead of "outside walk"? I know people that jog a 17" mile...

If the point of this app is to get people to get out and moving around more, it's discouraging for the 'goals' to be so hard to reach. And there are lots of articles these days that say walking may be better exercise than running. For walking to not be "good enough" is pretty deflating.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 3:51 AM

Well I went for another walk last night. 31minutes, 1.67m. Avg heart rate 126.

But this time I called it "outdoor run" instead of outdoor walk. And it says I burned 145cal (vs 196 for my 3.2m walk in the morning) and most importantly- it gave me 31 min of exercise on my green ring. Even though i walked slower, for less time, less distance, and had a lower heart rate- I got 2x as much "credit" for this walk vs the one in the morning (that was twice as long).

So bottom line- calling it run vs walk makes a big difference

96 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 3:51 AM in response to Alexroet

Well I went for another walk last night. 31minutes, 1.67m. Avg heart rate 126.

But this time I called it "outdoor run" instead of outdoor walk. And it says I burned 145cal (vs 196 for my 3.2m walk in the morning) and most importantly- it gave me 31 min of exercise on my green ring. Even though i walked slower, for less time, less distance, and had a lower heart rate- I got 2x as much "credit" for this walk vs the one in the morning (that was twice as long).

So bottom line- calling it run vs walk makes a big difference

Jan 4, 2017 5:40 AM in response to Alexroet

Hi

To credit progress towards your daily Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk. This requirement applies both during general daily wear and when recording workouts via the Workout app.

Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met.

The definition of a brisk walk varies from person to person and depends on your personal information. To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Apple Watch uses different sensors and data sources to track the results of workouts, depending on the activity type. For example, with Apple Watch (first generation) and Series 1 models, the watch can access GPS data from the paired iPhone if it is taken along during outdoor walking, running and cycling workouts. Series 2 has built-in GPS.

During general daily wear and (for relevant activities) when using the Workout app to record workouts when GPS data is either not relevant or not available (eg Indoor Walk), the Activity app and Workout app track your arm motion (measured by the accelerometer) when estimating results including progress towards the Exercise goal. For the best results, allow the arm on which you are wearing your watch to swing naturally as you move around and during workouts (where relevant to the activity type).

Calibrating your watch can improve the accuracy of estimations made by Activity app and Workout app. More information and instructions for calibrating your watch are available via the link below. The article also includes instructions for resetting existing calibration data and starting afresh. Resetting your calibration data will not erase your Activity history.

If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of any given workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type. This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.

More information:

Jan 4, 2017 10:22 AM in response to Jonathan UK

To credit progress towards your daily Exercise goal, the Activity app aims to identify activity that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk.

Exercise credit is awarded for each minute during which this requirement is met.

And that is exactly the problem. The documentation for the watch does not define precisely how each of us can ensure that our activity exceeds the expected intensity of a brisk walk.

It would help immensely, if the watch would give us hints during the workout, what the level of activity is, that it expects.

None of the watch user guide pages describes how the level is defined, so we can check if our method of "brisk walk" is what should register as a brisk walk.

And the documentation we have is inconsistent:

The "Keep your data accurate (https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd7d17e9500)" document states:

the more you run with the Workout app, the more Apple Watch learns your fitness level—and the more accurately it can estimate the calories you burned during aerobic activity.

This suggests, that Apple Watch is continually changing the parameters for estimating the calories and the level of fitness, whenever we use the workout app.

Compare this to the "Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy" (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516).

You can calibrate your Apple Watch to improve the accuracy of your distance, pace, and calorie measurements. Calibrating your watch can also help it learn your fitness level and stride, which improves accuracy when GPS is limited or unavailable.

This suggests, that the parameters will primarily be changed by calibrating. I would expect them to remain the same, unless we calibrate, but the first snippet is indicating that using any formal workout.app can mess up the calibration.

The most disconcerting part of these documentation snippets is the " learn your fitness level". We do not know the artificial intelligence algorithms the watch is using; we do not know how smart the watch software is, and we do not know if it still trying to learn or already has learned our habits, and we do not know what it is thinking about our level of fitness. We are just left to wonder, why one day a bike ride of one hour results in an exercise credit of one hour, and the next day the same bike ride, with the same distance and same duration will result in only two-thirds of the result from the day before. If the watch would create a sensible protocol of the workout, showing the measurements it took and making which parts it considered equivalent to a brisk walk, and which parts not, and why, it would be much easier to tell, if the calibration went wrong, or if the heart rate sensor is not getting accurate data, or the motion sensor not sensitive enough.

As it is now, we are kept in the dark.

Jan 4, 2017 5:26 AM in response to léonie

This is correct.

1. The watch will move the green ring any time your heart rate is elevated significantly. This is regardless of whether you start a Workout.

2. If you start a Workout, the watch monitors heart rate more frequently. However - you must still have an elevated heart rate and some speed of movement (depends on the type of workout) for the green ring to move. If you're moving slowly or stopping (low speed, low heart rate), the watch will not credit you with the green ring time.

3. An exception is the Other workout, which simply records the time, regardless of speed/heart rate.

You're right to make the point that "briskly" is unpredictable. It's most unpredictable with walking and cycling, where you can make progress without elevated heart rate.

Jan 4, 2017 5:13 AM in response to curty62

curty62 wrote:

Great question! Me too.

I've read most of the answers here and it looks like Apple is keeping separate the categories of "Exercise" and "Workout."

To me this doesn't make sense. Any time I'm moving that's exercise, whether walking to the train or going for a run. Someone should tell Apple to simply add the workout to the Exercise Ring!

It is intentionally, that Exercise and Workout are counted differnetly.

The Exercise Ring can be closed without running any workout.app at all. If you are moving briskly and the motion sensor detects you are moving, the watch will advance the Exercise rings. It is working independent of using any of the apps. And you do not need to carry the iPhone with you either.

The user guide says: "The Exercise ring shows how many minutes of brisk activity you’ve done. "

The problem is, that it is nearly impossible to predict, what the watch will consider to be a brisk activity because the algorithm is not documented at all. We only know that the calibration is important, the personal data, like weight and age, and the fit of the watch, and that the watch is trying to learn. And this learning is probably what is giving the surprising results, that we will see different advances of the Exercise ring for the same kind of activity every day.

While you are running a formal workout.app only the part of the workout will count towards the Exercise ring, where you moved briskly. When I am using my bike on my way to work and run the outdoor cycle workout, only roughly two thirds of the workout time will count as exercise. Probably my fault, because I prefer to stop at red traffic lights and slow down when pedestrians are walking on the bike lane. I tested a bit. The amount of time credited as exercise will be the same whether I do run the outdoor cycle workout or not. The calculated calorie burns differ a bit, with or without running the outdoor cycle, and the Health.app will show a workout, if I run the workout. The battery will drain faster. For me, the advantage of running a formal workout app is in keeping track of the time I did this workout, and the Health.app on the iPhone will show the time.

Feb 3, 2017 2:31 PM in response to GreyT

But why should you have to choose other? Shouldn't you be able to get the credit of an "outdoor walk" like I do each and every day and get the credit I deserve in that app? I walk very fast for someone who's 52.5 and has had a stroke and just recently got off my cane. I got credit in my exercise ring for the first few weeks of the year (thank goodness because I got the 2017 badge for 100% in all 3 rings for a full week. It was shortly after I got that award that my stupid green ring started screwing up. I wasn't doing anything different except losing weight and feeling better. I know it seems stupid, but seeing those rings go completely around and then some is huge to me because where I was just a few years ago, on a walker, a lot of numbness on my right side, to where I'm at now, still weak on the right side but thankful to be walking without the assistance of any walking aid is huge and I take my exercise very seriously. If I have to play the game of using "other" to get my credit to which I deserve, I'll do it, but it seems so stupid. Get it together, Apple. If I'm setting myself for 45 mins in an outdoor walk and my movement ring is crediting me because that's what I'm doing, then give me credit for my exercise in my exercise ring, too!

Jul 5, 2017 4:06 PM in response to Alexroet

So,even though you choose outdoor walk from the workout app it doesn't count as exercise? I read on one of the support posts that exercise was counted if your heart rate was equivalent to a "brisk" walk. Today I walked 1.8 miles and for 45 minutes my heart rate was between 118 and 140. For a 55 year old that is much better than a brisk walk, yet I only got credit for 3 minutes of exercise. i will try choosing "Run" next time to see it it makes a difference.

When I use the exercise bike I choose an indoor bike work out and I get full credit for the exercise every time and I didn't "go" anywhere. It is disappointing that the app doesn't seem to function correctly on my Apple Watch 2.

Jan 4, 2017 11:04 AM in response to Jonathan UK

If you would like to send feedback or suggestions to Apple, you can do so here:

I'm doing so frequently. But I want the feedback in the communities as well, as Apple invites us to post feedback in these forums. It improves the quality of the feedback, if the members in the community discuss it. All of us are using ourApple products in different ways and comparing the ways how we are using the products helps to understand the possible limitations and the advantages for other tasks.

The Terms of Use for these communities (https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5952) have changed some time ago and now include the sentence: "2.3 Submissions: .... Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well."

Jul 15, 2017 4:21 PM in response to frannbug

frannbug wrote:

Me too. When I first got my Apple Watch I struggled up six flights of stairs as fast as my arthritic legs would allow me and felt as though I was in danger of a heart attack afterwards. My watch didn't even notice and registered a zero. Yesterday I walked for a couple of hours, fairly slowly, with a walking stick. Afterwards I was shattered but my watch registered next to nothing. There is only one guaranteed method of getting that green circle to shift for me: to play a piece of piano music that has thundering semiquavers in the left hand!

If anyone knows how to get it to register more gentle exercise on the green circle, I might be more inclined to do some…

See the latter section of my previous reply, beginning "If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration":

Re: What counts as "exercise" for the green ring??

Jan 4, 2017 11:07 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

If you would like to send feedback or suggestions to Apple, you can do so here:

I'm doing so frequently. But I want the feedback in the communities as well, as Apple invites us to post feedback in these forums ..

I appreciate that. My suggestion was intended only as a way of ensuring that your feedback reaches and is logged by Apple ("We read all feedback carefully").

Jan 7, 2017 3:51 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I just got an Apple Watch and I'm finding that it gives me exercise credit for activity that is clearly not exercise, such as walking around the house. Apple's support page says that "every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise goal." I wonder why Apple uses the one minute threshold to start counting exercise. The CDC and other organizations say that moderate to intense activity should be sustained for at least 10 minutes to be considered exercise. The Fitbit doesn't award active minutes/exercise credit until you hit 10 minutes.

Jan 28, 2017 7:39 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Aha, this enlighents me somewhat. i have been using "outdoor biking" when I take my bike into the landscape, but since I also bring my Nikon camera I may pause, and be still or move cautiously not to scare the animal off. So as it was today I only got 26 minutes credit out of the 90 minutes trip that the watch monitored... I was mowing /walking/biking for 85 minutes!

I understand that I would be better of, counting wise if I simply pick "Other" as exercise type !

Jan 28, 2017 8:50 AM in response to GreyT

So as it was today I only got 26 minutes credit out of the 90 minutes trip that the watch monitored... I was mowing /walking/biking for 85 minutes!

I understand that I would be better of, counting wise if I simply pick "Other" as exercise type !

Others will certainly advance the Activity Ring for the full duration of your bike ride, but then you will only see others in the history saved in the health.app pf your Watch. I prefer to have the correct workout type listed in the Health.app, so I can tell, if I have been biking, hiking, or others.

Feb 3, 2017 2:15 PM in response to chuck_3rd

I'm new to this discussion because I just got my watch in December of 2016. I have my age and other personal detail in my watch. In the first few weeks of the year, my watch was calculating correctly and I was getting the credit in my exercise ring of which I was doing. All of the sudden when I was using my phone for my music, I no longer am getting any credit or movement in my ring even though my outdoor walk is accurately posting all the information. I read in here some people are using "Other" instead of the actual exercise they're doing. I'm going to try this and see what happens.

What counts as "exercise" for the green ring??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.