Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App crashes every time I try to migrate my photos from iPhoto

I just installed the Yosemite update and the Photos App. Every time I try to migrate my photos from iPhoto the Photos App crashes at about 20% complete. Is there a work around for this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Have you tried the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools on your Library?

If you don't have a current backup, make a backup of your iPhoto Library and then run the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools to repair the permissions and to repair the database.

• To repair hold down the alt/option and the command key simultaneously while double clicking the iPhoto application in the Applications folder to launch the iPhotos Library First aid tools. Hold down both keys firmly and long enough, until the First Aid panel will appear.
  • The select "Repair database". Repeat with "repair Permissions".
  • If it still does not suffice, repeat with "Rebuild Library".

If it still does not work, download our Swiss-Army.Knife for library emergencies: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

The free trial option will let you rebuild the iPhoto Library.

Then try to migrate the rebuilt library to photos.

You do have enough free storage on the disk with the iPhoto Library? Migrating needs temporarily additional storage.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2015 10:01 AM in response to scgordo

Have you tried the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools on your Library?

If you don't have a current backup, make a backup of your iPhoto Library and then run the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools to repair the permissions and to repair the database.

• To repair hold down the alt/option and the command key simultaneously while double clicking the iPhoto application in the Applications folder to launch the iPhotos Library First aid tools. Hold down both keys firmly and long enough, until the First Aid panel will appear.
  • The select "Repair database". Repeat with "repair Permissions".
  • If it still does not suffice, repeat with "Rebuild Library".

If it still does not work, download our Swiss-Army.Knife for library emergencies: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

The free trial option will let you rebuild the iPhoto Library.

Then try to migrate the rebuilt library to photos.

You do have enough free storage on the disk with the iPhoto Library? Migrating needs temporarily additional storage.

Photos App crashes every time I try to migrate my photos from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.