Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Photos" installed; what to do with "iPhoto.app?"

After installing latest update (10.10.3) all of my pics are now accessible through "Photos."

I find that both "iPhoto.app" and "Photos.app" appear in the applications folder. However, "Photos.app" shows a very low 50.2MB, whereas "iPhotos.app" shows 1.7GB.

Does this sound right? Shouldn't iPhotos have been removed when Photos was installed in the update?

Considering the current size indicated for iPhotos, I'm loath to just "trash" it!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:52 AM

iPhoto is still usable and your iPhoto Library is still intact. I would hang onto both for a while.

10 replies

Apr 27, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Kappy

If separate libraries exist... I wonder if I did something wrong when I opened "Photos" for the first time. I'm no longer sure what questions were asked... but I think it asked if I wanted to use existing library. Not knowing what else to say... I probably said "yes."

Clearly, the 50.2MB size shown for "Photos.app" is much too small to include its own library!

Is that OK, or not?

Apr 27, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Kappy

Ah... quite correct! They're both there!

So... the next time I download photos from my cameras, will they go to both libraries, or just the "Photos" library?

Also... since I now know that the libraries are not included in the tally shown in my applications folder, what explains the large discrepancy between the size of iPhoto and Photos: 1.7GB vs 50.2MB?

"Photos" installed; what to do with "iPhoto.app?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.