Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud password request on MacBook startup ???

On startup or wake-up, my MacBook Pro asks for Password twice and recently started to ask for my iCloud/apple id password. Suspecting some sort of phishing scam, I cancel out of the iCloud request and continue without further issues. Any comments explaining this would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 10:04 AM

1 reply

May 6, 2015 7:11 AM in response to archie.t

I too experienced this annoying problem. After much search & frustration I finally discovered issue related to kKeychain & iCloud. I copied the below & it solved my problem. Hope this helps you. Let me know.

"

It APPEARS that I've fixed it, though the process and ultimate outcome doesn't give confidence that it won't reappear.

First, important to note that this problem appeared with the update to OS X version 10.9.4. It happened on both of our Macs: MacBook Pro and iMac 27". On the iMac, I noticed after the fix that it happened only on my account, and not on my wife's. That was a clue, if I'd realized it earlier.

Second, the dialog box didn't appear until long after powering up or commanding restart.

Third, the dialog box appeared AFTER the Google Drive access was complete. Ultimately, this was THE clue, but had nothing to do with Google Drive.

I looked into both suggestions that were made, before stumbling across the (apparent) solution. The computer name was consistent in the places it appears. I looked into a Keychain Reset, but was put off by Apple's Help dialogue, notably failure to state up front how to recover the 'put aside' Keychain data.

When the problem first appeared, I went immediately to the iCloud Preferences and unchecked the Keychain; no joy. Also checked the Start Up Items in my User Preferences. That's always a source of this kind of issue (stuff happening after start up), but again nothing was obvious.

The delay until after Google Drive startup made me think perhaps something was set to try to synchronize data between Google Drive and iCloud, but I couldn't find anything. Nor was there anything in either 'drive' that I would want to share between them.

However, it became clear that the iCloud post-restart process probably was the culprit. Recall that I'd already unchecked the Keychain sync item. So, looking through the list of iCloud sync items, it appeared to me that the most likely troublemakers would be the Back To My Mac and Find My Mac items (I may have those names slightly wrong, but you'll know them when you see them).

I unchecked both items, and, PROBLEM GONE.

I then proceeded to restore the 'checkmark' on each one to see which was the troublemaker: PROBLEM WOULD NOT RETURN!

I even rechecked the Keychain item, but problem was gone ... hopefully for good.

Good luck.

iCloud password request on MacBook startup ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.