Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving SSD & HDD from one MBP to different MBP

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 13" MacBook Pro Early 2011 2.3 GHz Core i5 (MC700LL/A) with a 240GB SSD as boot drive running the latest version of Mavericks (10.9.5) and have the optical bay drive replaced with a 1TB HDD exclusively for storage (books, music, movies, photo, docs, etc), along with 16GB ram. A few weeks ago, my lady friend spilled her coffee entirely on the keyboard, trackpad, fan, etc. but I was able to manage saving both drives and ram from any liquid damage.

I have since then purchased a used 13" Late 2011 2.8 GHz Core i7 (MD314LL/A) that can accept the 16GB ram I already have, but what concerns me is whether I can simply install my SSD & HDD into it. Will there be any issues since it's a different processor?

Even though I have everything backed up through Time Machine in an external hard drive, I would hate to format the SSD and install from backup. If this is the case, I may opt for a clean install instead. I have also been thinking about partitioning the HDD to install Yosemite again, but that's not my priority right now.

Finals are coming up and I want to get this out of the way! Please help, anyone. And if there answers already out there for my question, please link them for me because I had no luck searching.

Much love,

rowleyd

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2015 11:37 AM

As long as the startup OS can boot the computer there should be no problem. Remove the existing drives and replace them with yours. You will likely need another bracket in order to remove the optical drive from the new computer.

2 replies

Moving SSD & HDD from one MBP to different MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.