Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic and Time Machine?

Curious if Time Machine backs up deleted audio files. For instance, if I'm tracking a live band using 18 mics, or whatever, and I immediately delete all the audio files for that take, moves them to the trash, because it was bad, does time back up all those audio files as well? I've entered time machine after running a backup after sessions and it does not appear to. But I'm still a little uncertain.

Logic 10.1.1

OSX 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 11:44 AM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2015 12:37 PM in response to WDI

If Time Machine hits a cycle and the audio files are on a drive you have set to be backed up, those audio files will get backed up in that cycle.

If you have trashed and emptied trash before the backup cycle hits they will not be backed up. The Trash folder is part of the Standard Exclusions for time machine, unless you change the Standard Exclusions.plist, it will not be backed up, as far as I know.

Apr 27, 2015 12:41 PM in response to octopi

Not sure I really understand the cycle thing. I back up to an external drive. I plug it in manually and run the back ups. I don't leave it plugged in all the time.

But my understanding is that time machine creates backups locally when the external drive is not plugged in, then moves the backup to the extenal drive once connected and time machine backup is initiated.

Probably the best solution would be to create the projects in a folder that is excluded from time machine and then move the projects to a location that is backed up by time machine once I want them backed up.

What do think?

Apr 27, 2015 3:37 PM in response to WDI

No, Time Machine does not make backups locally when the external drive is not plugged in.

With any backup app or routine you need to specify a drive or volume and the backup will only work to that drive or volume when it is present. Copying items (even temporarily) to the same drive is not a backup and all it would do is waste space on the HD.

Logic and Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.