Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMac 27 inch late 2013 support external monitor? If yes, how can I do?

dear all:

i have bought a new iMac recently, but the evolution is very bad using hmdi to connect 4k monitor or other monitor. hope all of u can help me. Thx in deeply.

iMac, Late 2013

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 11:28 AM

11 replies

Apr 27, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Kappy

thx kappy...I am stupid in computer stuff. Should I buy a new line to connect the thunderbolt (iMac) to external monitor? I would like to use other brand of LCD monitor with bigger size for external monitor because of my limited budget. Should the external monitor contain the function of thunderbolt? No one can help me to solve this problem even though Apple repaired service.

Apr 27, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Magkk

You don't need a monitor that supports Thunderbolt although that would be more convenient should you find one. But most monitors support pretty standard port such as DVI. So you would need an adapter from Thunderbolt to, say, DVI. Check the online Apple Store for adapters once you buy the monitor and know what you will need.

Apr 27, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Kappy

HI kappy, thx for your help. Frankly, I used a old iMac to connect the my old lcd monitor. It was no problem. However, I buy a new one iMac 27 inches late 2013 which cannot support my old lcd monitor even though 4k monitor. The evolution is very very poor. I used thunderbolt to change HDmi line to connect my lcd monitor but it still failed. afterward, I return it to Apple retail store for repairing. i check it again but it still fail. now, I dont know how I can do.

Can iMac 27 inch late 2013 support external monitor? If yes, how can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.