Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all yesterday & last week pictures with photos upgrade from iPhoto

2011 macbook with yosemite upgrade. How can I recover my lost pictures? My photos upgrade dumped all my iPhoto library. Can I return to iPhotos application and find my pictures? I followed all the directions in the photos upgrade, and iPhoto is gone from my applications.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), late 2009

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:33 PM

The iPhoto app is only replaced in the Dock by Photos. The iPhoto app will still be in the Applications folder. If you were running iPhoto 9.6.1 before updating to 10.10.3 then you can still open your iPhoto library and use iPhoto.

If you were using an earlier version of iPhoto try Terence's method from this post of his:

Terence Devlin including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

[DocumentBodyStart:d25bf602-029a-4466-b895-2ab6c98bb4c9]

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Dave Graber

The iPhoto app is only replaced in the Dock by Photos. The iPhoto app will still be in the Applications folder. If you were running iPhoto 9.6.1 before updating to 10.10.3 then you can still open your iPhoto library and use iPhoto.

If you were using an earlier version of iPhoto try Terence's method from this post of his:

Terence Devlin including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

[DocumentBodyStart:d25bf602-029a-4466-b895-2ab6c98bb4c9]

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Dave Graber

I just went through similar pain - this might help a bit

Apple AppStore no longer allows downloads of iPhoto 9.6.X in USA! (And now maybe UK as well as I see some notes on that in this forum) So I am fortunate to have an Apple store nearby (30 minutes) made an appointment with a Genius for this morning.

1. She told me that iPhoto is no longer available - only Photo!

2. To Print, select the image then go to the UPPER tool ribbon - select FILE, then Print and the options come up. Not great, but workable.

3. To get an image into an Album, [ I sort my photos by Albums for rapid searches ] Select the photo - then the "+" symbol and one of the options in the right hand box is "Album". clicking on that brings up an Album window at the top - where you have to click the arrow to the right of "New Album" and your entire list of albums shows up. Then you slide down the list [ I have about 120 albums so not all show up in the initial drop down] and click on that album - the name of the album shows up in the top window - click on "OK" and it is now linked to that Album.

Overall NOT nearly as easy as iPhoto - so the gang in California have some serious work to do. I really liked the older screen arrangement.

Apr 30, 2015 8:54 AM in response to davidfromzionsville

The following may be of interest to you for managing albums: if you upgraded to 10.10.3 and are using Photos the aware that Moments in Photo are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

Lost all yesterday & last week pictures with photos upgrade from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.