Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hidden RAW files in Photos

After upgrading macs I have been forced into Photos from iPhoto

I shoot in both RAW and JPG but prefer to work on the RAW files so often just delete the JPG's

When I import into Photos from my SD card I can only view and edit the JPG files though the RAW are still present.

How can I either view both so I can select to delete the JPG files as I wish and also so I can edit the RAW files?

the Images which have a hidden RAW file have a small J in the lower left corner

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:16 PM

21 replies

Apr 27, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence

Thanks again for your speedy reply

Im sorry if i am being thick but I cant find that option in the view menu? I would like to be able to view them side by side as well if that is possible so I can choose which to delete. I need to shoot in both JPG and RAW as i am only permitted to upload JPG files into my work computer

How can I get iPhoto back? It says it is no longer available in the UK and all the updates online have been discontinued.

Apr 27, 2015 1:06 PM in response to rfield00

How can I get iPhoto back? It says it is no longer available in the UK and all the updates online have been discontinued.

The update just removed the iPhoto icon from the Dock. iPhoto should still be in your Applications folder, if you did not uninstall it intentionally.

If your iPhoto version is iPhoto 9.6.1, just drag iPhoto from the Applications folder back to the Dock, then click it to launch it.

You will see a prompt, that the iPhoto Library has been migrated, but just click the "Open iPhoto" button and iPhoto will open the old library.

If you not yet have 9.6.1, update as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the AppStore, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

Apr 27, 2015 1:30 PM in response to rfield00

I got a brand new mac as to work from scratch. Can I copy across from my old mac?

What do you want to copy?

If you want to setup the new Mac exactly like your old mac and migrate everything, the easiest way is to connect both Macs by thunderbolt or Firewire and then use the Setup Assistant. When you first setup the Mac, right after installing the system, the setup Assistant will prompt you to transfer the apps and documents from another Mac.That will copy photo libraries and iTunes libraries etc. quite well.

If you miss that Moment and use Migration Assistant later, it will work well for documents and data, but there have been problems, that photo libraries did not transfer correctly and had permission issues. Also GarageBAnd did not migrate well this way and instruments were missing.

If you already migrated your Mac, copy the photo libraries manually by connecting the two macs and simply copying the library over.

May 5, 2015 4:26 AM in response to evoyousuf

Take a look at the image menus earlier in this thread, noting that you have to be in edit mode to see the "Use RAW" option.

The only way I've found to delete the JPG copies is to select all relevant photos, export unmodified originals to an external folder, delete selected photos, delete the JPG files in the external folder and then import the remaini RAW files.

TED

Hidden RAW files in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.