Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall previous version of iPhoto?

I just updated my MacBook (April 2015) and I HATE the new version of iPhoto.

1) It doesn't allow me to geotag my photos anymore, to enable me to sort/ group them by places, location etc. I travel a lot and take photos with my Canon DSLR so would like to still be able to do this.

2) The Places view has disappeared, and also the Places Manager in the menu bar.

How do I delete/ remove this and reinstall the previous version of iPhoto?

Can I go in to my Time Machine and just replaced the current version with the previous version that has been backed up to iPhoto?

If I did that, what happens when there is a new update that is bundled with the general Apple software update?

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:47 PM

Photos is not really a new version of iPhoto. It's a separate application.

You should still have iPhoto on your Mac.

Your iPhoto library should still be there in your Pictures Folder as well.

User uploaded file

8 replies

Apr 27, 2015 12:47 PM in response to jason.ihn

The update to Yosemite 10.10.3 did not uninstall iPhoto, and it should still be in your Applications folder.

Just drag iPhoto back to the Dock and double-click to open it. You will see a prompt, that your iphoto Library has been migrated to Photos. Just confirm to "Open iPhoto". That will work, if you already updated to iPhoto 9.6.1 before the update to MacOS X 10.10.3. Only iPhoto 9.6.1 will run on MacOS X 10.10.3.

If you not yet have 9.6.1, update as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the AppStore, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

Jul 24, 2015 8:53 AM in response to Tim in Toronto

Dragging the iPhoto app to trash doesn't also trash the library, correct?

No, if you drag the application to the Trash, the iPhoto Library will stay and not be trashed. And you do not have to empty the Trash. You just have to ensure, that Spotlight does not see an installed iPhoto version. That should change the "Open" button at the App Store to "Install":

How to reinstall previous version of iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.