Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network connectivity issues

OK. Here goes. I have three devices 1. Airport Extreme (not sure the gen but was running most recent gen firmware) 2. Time Capsule (3rd gen running 7.6.4) 3. Airport Express (2nd gen running 7.6.4) all connected to my Uverse Router. I previously had my Extreme handling WiFi, Uverse handling DHCP, Time Capsule for backups and the Express for music as well as a wired "extension" to the other side of the house. This worked great for me for a while, but about 3 months ago it started causing problems. Namely, the connection to my iMac, MacBook Airs, and iPads/iPhones started going out randomly. The signal strength would show connected, but there would be no internet traffic. In addition, I was having issues streaming to my iPads from ITunes on my iMac.

I have had the Extreme for a while and I push my connection pretty hard, so I figured the Extreme was toast. So, I removed the Extreme from the equation and started using the Time Capsule as the main hub for wireless and connected the Express the same way. This also worked great...for 2 weeks. Now, I am having the same problem. I am resigned to the fact that I might just have to start replacing stuff, but I do not want to.

Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:10 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2015 3:37 PM in response to NormalGuy

How long does it last after a restart before everything goes to pieces?

The Gen3 TC is getting old.. I would suggest a downgrade of firmware to 7.6.1 and reset to factory.. with a clean new setup.. do not restore settings..

See how it goes.. but you have got your time out of it.. may last a bit longer doing TM backups if you plug it into a better router by ethernet.. but the wireless seems to go .. along with other parts..

If the extreme was older than the TC.. it was good to retire it..

Mostly for domestic stuff we suggest a lifespan of 3 years.. maybe a bit more for the old AE.. where it didn't have heat generating HDD and power supply inside.. but the TC definitely 3 years.. for reliable operation.. you have already got 5years.. so congrats.. but keeping stuff alive forever is more expensive than replacement. Plus standards have moved on.. wireless is 3 generations past what the TC used.

Apr 27, 2015 5:44 PM in response to NormalGuy

Downgrade by holding option key.. while you click the version number on the summary page in the utility.

User uploaded file

The list of possible firmware will pop up and you can pick 7.6.1 which works the best in my testing.

Factory reset after it. You can also do that via the utility although I prefer the mechanical method.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Network connectivity issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.