Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to minimize windows or view more than one window

I had a MacBook Pro prior to the MacBook 2015. I never had a problem minimizing windows. I really need to have more than one window open at same time, but I can't seem to do this with MacBook. There usually is a white dot in middle where it was yellow in MacBook Pro to minimize the window. There is an icon with double page symbol I can click in the right corner, but when it shows a thumbnail image of each website on one page instead of minimizing the window when I click on it. Is there something I can click on to minimize the window so more than one window appears at the same time? I do not even see line/arrow appear in corners of window to drag the window to a smaller size.

MacBook, OS 10.10.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:34 PM

8 replies

Apr 27, 2015 7:24 PM in response to cnovice

I do not even see line/arrow appear in corners of window to drag the window to a smaller size.

Just put your cursor on any edge or corner of a window until you see the double arrows then click and hold while you drag to resize. This is no different than it's been for the last 4 years since the introduction of Lion.

There usually is a white dot in middle where it was yellow in MacBook Pro to minimize the window.

The yellow dot will minimize the window to the Dock.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=412362&seqNum=6

In Yosemite, a click on the the Green dot goes to full screen, an Option click is like the prior green dot's performance.

Apr 28, 2015 6:24 AM in response to cnovice

Actually the double arrow on the top right hand side in Mavericks was replaced with one of the coloured dots (green in this case).

So, in yosemite, if you click the green dot, then the window will go in full screen mode.

I think so that you may have opened a window which cannot be minimised, thats the reason the yellow dot minimise option is greyed/ white. Try to open several other windows and see if you get the yellow dot minimise option...

Hope this helps.....

Apr 28, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Grane Duke

I just tried Chrome. The yellow minimize button shows there, and I am able to make the window smaller by dragging corners in. However, instead of making the overall page smaller, it cuts off half the page so the full length of the page shows horizontally. I want to minimize the page so that it becomes smaller horizontally, not vertically. I guess it is better than nothing.

Apr 28, 2015 7:32 AM in response to cnovice

The thing which you are demanding is not possible at all. This is how all the browsers in Yosemite as well as Mavericks behave. Only the top title bar will get adjusted according to the way your minimise the window. The activity which you are seeing is completely normal.

You mean like this right....??

User uploaded file

I am only thinking that why you cannot minimise in safari.....??

Unable to minimize windows or view more than one window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.