Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installer screen opens when I shut down

for the past few weeks, when I shut down my computer, the installer screen pops up with the question "do you want to continue the installation or abort?"

It's only open for a few seconds … usually enough time for me to hit the 'Abort' button, but it always comes back the next time I shut down.

i have no idea what it is installing … how can i find out? how can I stop this?

thank you

Elizabeth

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), i7 quad

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:27 PM

Adware Genieo is installed without your knowledge. Removing it will help,

1. Use free AdwareMedic to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn those off and relaunch Safari.

Turn those on one by one and test.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Eliz B

Adware Genieo is installed without your knowledge. Removing it will help,

1. Use free AdwareMedic to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn those off and relaunch Safari.

Turn those on one by one and test.

Apr 27, 2015 9:53 PM in response to dominic23

I stopped using safari last year because when I click links on my banking page, a new tab would open for some site I had no clue about ... now I realize that that was probably the start of all of this.

Anyway, as I said to Linc, I now use Opera.

Back to your advice: i did the 'manual' route first, and deleted a lot, but Genio and the other applications were not there.

After several restarts, and several 'move to trash', the 'abort' window finally disappeared. I then opened Safari and uninstalled the extensions, restarted, then installed AdwareMedic and ran it ... and it found genio and the others, but they were hidden in Foxfire files (I haven't used this app for some time) ... so hopefully this is finally solved. ... maybe it'll also correct my disk permission problems that I've had recently, and ai won't have to check the disk so frequently!

Thank you
Elizabeth

Apr 28, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Eliz B

Eliz B wrote:

maybe it'll also correct my disk permission problems that I've had recently, and ai won't have to check the disk so frequently!

This is off-topic, but you don't need to check the disk frequently to start with. There are a number of perfectly normal messages that appear when repairing disk permissions that don't indicate there's a problem. I'd bet that's what you've been seeing.

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore - Apple Support

You should not need to repair permissions unless you're having a specific problem that may be related to a permissions problem.

Apr 28, 2015 11:25 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you ... this is a very comprehensive list! ...

I don't know if i was having a permissions problem, i just noted that things were slower than usual, and i was getting that abort message ... so i checked the disk and the permissions, and repaired the permissions .... possibly didn't need to after all, but when this long list of 'wrongs' appeared in the report, the first reaction is to 'repair'. Other things improved, but the 'abort' window wasn't removed ... until now!

Thank you

Elizabeth

installer screen opens when I shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.