Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing mail sits in outbox on Macbook Pro

On the MacBook Pro, OS 10.9.5, mail stopped going out from all three accounts. Incoming mail is fine. Connection Doctor says connected. Checked the settings with one of the accounts and are correct. Does anyone have a solution? It seems to be Mail related. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:19 PM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Terriodo

Do you see two green symbols for each account? There should be one for incoming and one for outgoing. iCloud and Exchange accounts only have one entry. If SMTP (outgoing) is red, you most likely need to add the password again in SMTP settings.

Do you see an Outbox? Scroll down in the folder list to view.

If yes, look for a message stuck in the Outbox. Usually it's a message with a large attachment and can't send. Move the message to drafts then try sending a new test message.

Apr 27, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Terriodo

Usually it's a password issue with SMTP.

EDIT SMTP SETTINGS

In Accounts window > Outgoing Mail Server SMTP: select to Edit SMTP Server list... from popup.

Select account in the list.(It's not uncommon to find extra SMTP servers listed. When you remove account, Mail does not delete the smtp info. You might need to do some clean up in the list to remove the extras.)

Under Advanced Tab:

Apple defaults to the default ports (25,465, 587) but some servers prefer a custom port. Check to see what port they recommend. Gmail for example likes 465, Outlook.com 587, Comcast 465

(note: Mail really likes to default to 587 in Yosemite now. Try entering 465 and see if that helps)

Verify if your server require SSL.

User Name. Enter full email address eg. UserName@gmail.com

Add password if it is blank.

Open Connection Doctor under Window in the Menu bar.

Do you see green light now for your account SMTP?

Comcast IMAP Settings:

Incoming server: imap.comcast.net

Outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net

Authentication ON

Incoming Port: 993 with SSL ON

Outgoing Port:

465 with SSL ON

Apr 27, 2015 5:01 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Those are the settings we just changed with Comcast. We did the custom port. He also has 2 other emails that don't work in the mail program (gmail and UConn). They used to. I will have him check for the lights in Connection Doctor when he comes home.

When reading through old discussions there was one about tossing out some kind of outbox folder, but for the life of me I can't find it on his computer. (I found it easily on my desktop iMac). Could something like that be the answer? The posts were several years old.

Apr 27, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Terriodo

You don't see the Outbox unless something is stuck in there or it's sending.

Repair Mail

With Mail quit....

Go to the User's Library folder. This folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

• Go to Containers. Drag the com.apple.mail folder to the Desktop

• Go to Mail folder.

Select the V2 > MailData folder.

Delete any files in MailData with envelope in the name. (should be 3)

• Go to Preferences. If you find any com.apple.mail.plist files, delete these.

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar

Open Mail. Mail will reindex your files.

Outgoing mail sits in outbox on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.