Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5c battery bulging problem

Hey there, just been through post regarding battery problems related to iphone 5 where apple replaces the phone even if its not in warranty, I have a 5c model which i had bought it during its launch in October 2013 so now its not in warranty (had got 1 yr warranty). Visited Apple service center today since my battery is bulged and the executive told me that apple doesnt replace parts it replaces the whole phone & I need to pay 21000 Rs to get the phone replaced. I wonder how come apple doesnt replace just the faulty battery which would be cheaper instead of replacing the whole phone. Anyone with similar issues, kindly suggest if i can get original battery in india so that i can get it assembled from some local mobile repairing shop as no hopes left with Apple service center. (Might get a new Iphone 5c for 21k)

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:31 PM

6 replies

Apr 28, 2015 12:48 AM in response to deggie

But to say that you need to diagnose the phone right? Just a look at it upfront without even opening or taking the phone in your hand i dont think any1 can decide if other parts are damaged, and if thats the case i would really say every1 to think twice before buying any apple product in future as post one year of buying the product if any issues, you need to pay a hefty amount to get the problem resolved. Mostly Apple will tell you to replace it by paying 80% of the market value of the phone.

Apr 28, 2015 8:57 AM in response to prathamesh16

There is only so much room inside the iPhone and there are delicate parts in there that have to be in the correct position. If you battery has swollen that much there is going to be problems replacing it, the cables surrounding it and fitting a screen back on it after replacing the battery. There is also going to be leakage that will have to be cleaned. They could open it, remove the battery, inspect for damage and leakage, clean any debris, reset any parts that moved, replace parts with cables that tear when removing the battery, and replace the screen. It will cost about 3 times as much as doing an out-of-warranty replacement of the phone.

May 11, 2015 12:38 AM in response to prathamesh16

There are a few online guides on how to replace a battery in certain models of portable phone

that are out-of-warranty, and theses show certain details that may be helpful to understand how

the task may become tedious; also how a swollen battery may damage more & add to costs.

An example of such online guides may be found on the iFixit site link here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Phone

Good luck with iPhone circumstances & life in general! 🙂

May 11, 2015 12:44 AM in response to K Shaffer

Yes it helped, i bought a battery from outside and got it replaced myself at home.. it was really easy, nothing was damaged in my fone. It is working perfectly as before without a single problem on it.

I guess apple just wants to earn money by making customers to pay for replacements. I got my fone fixed in 1000 Rs whereas apple was asking 21000 Rs, and that too they were gonna give me a refurbished fone as replacement.

@deggie, its ok no need of giving an explanation again for anything, we know you are a well paid apple employee.!!!! LOL

Iphone 5c battery bulging problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.