Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD My Passport not accessible on Macbook Pro

Hi, I hope somebody can help me. Does anybody know if the latest OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 update prevents External WD My Passport hard drives from being accessed? I've recently updated my software and have tried to use my external hard drive today and while it spins and lights up correctly when connected by USB, I can't access it's contents. I have tried updating the firmware and downloading the latest driver, but it still does not work. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 12:48 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 1:29 PM in response to JW815

Hello there,

What format is your WD My Passport Drive? If you go into Disk Utility it should tell you, I believe MacBooks can only Read and Write to HFS+, NTFS, Fat32, exFAT and ext2. I'm sure you can view NTFS but cannot write to it. I know I had the same sort of external drive, I plugged it into my mac and because I was only using it for a Macbook backup it formatted the drive to a Mac format. I'd suggest checking the format of the drive to make sure it's not formatted to a setting that isn't compatible with Mac's.

WD My Passport not accessible on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.