Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I upgrade to Yosemite - iPhoto?

If I upgrade to Yosemite - will iPhoto still work? Or should I "migrate" to Photos? In that case - how's it done (not finding any step by step directions)?

Same basic question - I might be getting a new Mac - if so, and if I do Migration Assistant, how do I get 10 tears of photos on iPhoto to work in Photos?

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:08 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 1:33 PM in response to pcbjr

Well since it won't let me edit my post, here it is with edits:

If I upgrade to Yosemite - will iPhoto still work? Or should I "migrate" to Photos? In that case - how's it done (not finding any step by step directions that are real clear, 1., 2., 3., and "you're done")?

Same basic question - I might be getting a new Mac - if so, and if I do Migration Assistant, how do I get 15+ or so years of photos on iPhoto to work in Photos?

And one other big question - related to the two above - will all my Albums stay intact moving from iPhoto to Photos (everything from kindergarten graduations through kids' first jobs out of college and all family events in between are neatly in albums and backed up on 2 external drives and on optical - but I'd hate to lose the iPhoto event-to-event hierarchy after 25 years on a Mac!).

Apr 28, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

You said: iPhoto will work if it is updated to 9.6.1. Check the App Store Purchases tab. If iPhoto is there, you can download the newest version after you update.

I have iPhoto 8.1.2 (since that's as high as I ever got in SL). 9.6.1 is not a purchase of mine through the App Store, so it's not visible there, nor can I find it.

I do find as the highest version 9.4 on Apple - Support - Downloads

How would I get to 9.6.1 in Yosemite (or Mavs on my other iMacs) so it'll work once I get mostly away from SL?

And if I can't get 9.6.1 does that mean that all of my iPhoto is worthless, especially if I get a new Mac and migrate from an old one (i.e., that has 8.1.2 on it)?

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2015 12:25 PM in response to pcbjr

You are welcome.

9.6.1 is not a purchase of mine through the App Store, so it's not visible there, nor can I find it.

It doesn't have to be 9.6.1 in the App Store, it just has to show iPhoto in the Purchases tab.

Try downloading 9.4.1 after you upgrade.

Your photos won't be worthless. You can always import them into Photos using the information in the link I posted in my last reply.

Apr 28, 2015 12:27 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks again!

If I download 9.4, since I never "purchased" iPhoto - it came pre-installed, will I then be able to get to 9.6.1 at that point through the App Store? I'd like to keep using iPhoto as long as I can and until Photos goes through some tweaks and inevitable improvements. As far as I can tell, Yosemite will not run any iPhoto less than 9.6.1.

Best!

Apr 28, 2015 12:35 PM in response to pcbjr

You are welcome.

If I download 9.4, since I never "purchased" iPhoto - it came pre-installed, will I then be able to get to 9.6.1

I don't know the answer to that unfortunately. I never downloaded iPhoto from the App Store, but it appeared in my Purchases tab.

Yosemite will not run any iPhoto less than 9.6.1.

When I upgraded to Yosemite, it showed up as an update, but that was before Photos was released.

If I upgrade to Yosemite - iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.