Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac book is just over 2 years old (23 months) and the logic board is broke. Apple have quoted me just under £400 to repair (don't have a care plan and Apple don't do customer goodwill!). Can anyone suggest a cheaper way to get it repaire.thanks

My Mac Book Air is a little over TWO years old (25 months) and the screen has degenerated to only showing a few colours. Apple tell me it's a faulty logic board and have quoted me just under £400 to repair (no Apple care). Asked if they would show some customer good will as obviously a faulty product - Apple don't do customer goodwill...! Can anyone suggest a less expensive way to repair? Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:59 PM

Hi Seb,

Sadly Apple do charge a fair amount for out of warranty repairs, the most likely reason for the lack of good will prices would be if they do it for one, they must honour it for ALL the customers and that would loose the business quite a lot of money, it's a tough world but sadly that's the way it is.

I would say you could maybe try a PC Repair store that you are local to perhaps? They could find the correct logic board for you and fit it and I don't think they would charge the same amount. Having said that it would depend on the cost of the board to buy (if you bought it yourself it could lower the cost of repair) and the fitting/ labour cost. Different stores would charge different prices. Have a google to see if there are any near you and get in touch with them. Since your Macbook is out of it's manufacturing warranty any third party repair stores will be able to perform this task, if your Macbook was still in warranty and you took it to a third party repair store then that would most likely void your warranty with Apple. I'd suggest before going with a particular store to check to make sure they are able to obviously fix Apple devices are they are different to a standard Desktop PC.

Hope this helps

Rob

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Seb0708

Hi Seb,

Sadly Apple do charge a fair amount for out of warranty repairs, the most likely reason for the lack of good will prices would be if they do it for one, they must honour it for ALL the customers and that would loose the business quite a lot of money, it's a tough world but sadly that's the way it is.

I would say you could maybe try a PC Repair store that you are local to perhaps? They could find the correct logic board for you and fit it and I don't think they would charge the same amount. Having said that it would depend on the cost of the board to buy (if you bought it yourself it could lower the cost of repair) and the fitting/ labour cost. Different stores would charge different prices. Have a google to see if there are any near you and get in touch with them. Since your Macbook is out of it's manufacturing warranty any third party repair stores will be able to perform this task, if your Macbook was still in warranty and you took it to a third party repair store then that would most likely void your warranty with Apple. I'd suggest before going with a particular store to check to make sure they are able to obviously fix Apple devices are they are different to a standard Desktop PC.

Hope this helps

Rob

Apr 27, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Rash-Fires

Rob,

Thanks. There's a local repair shop I'll take it in to and see what they can do. I understand what you're saying about goodwill, but I paid almost a £1000 for this not really that long ago - I don't think its unreasonable to expect the pc to last longer than 2 years?! I love Apple products and the family have a load between them, but to be treated like this has left a really sour taste.

Apr 28, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Seb0708

If you have the time and patience I can suggest trying a few Apple Stores on different days. Depending on how busy they are and who you speak to you can sometimes get a free repair.

I've managed to get a Mac Mini repaired for free (3.5 years old so just outside AppleCare) and an iPad 2 (2 years old). Both cases the first Apple guy said no dice, second Apple guy said 'as a favour, we'll do it'.

Good luck!

My Mac book is just over 2 years old (23 months) and the logic board is broke. Apple have quoted me just under £400 to repair (don't have a care plan and Apple don't do customer goodwill!). Can anyone suggest a cheaper way to get it repaire.thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.