Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mac G4 won't start

Hi,

3 days ago my Apple Mac G4 switched off without reason. I restarted it and got a warning that the date was wrong and it may affect programmes but before I had chance to do anything else, it switched off again. I haven't been able to switch it on since. The power light flashes on each time I press it (plus the screen light works too) but the computer doesn't start. Occasionally it makes some promising noises like it's about to start but then it cuts out again.

I have read the community and tried resetting PMU (turn power off, open side, remove battery etc) but it hasn't had an effect.

Any other recommendations? Please note that you are dealing with a complete novice here when it comes to troubleshooting computers!

James

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:32 PM

11 replies

Apr 27, 2015 4:26 PM in response to BDAqua

Waitaminute, there is a red light! I thought you just meant when mac is plugged in but when I pressed the power switch the red light came on. I've just tried it now and you could hear it powering up (for about 15 seconds) and I even got as far as the grey apple screen but then the power stopped, the screen went black and the red light went off.

Thanks for taking time to help me out on this by the way, much appreciated.

Apr 29, 2015 2:18 PM in response to BDAqua

My computer was working again yesterday. I pressed the power button and instead of silence I heard the drive running and then the Apple screen came on and, hey presto, it had started. There was a message about resetting the time and date (it was something like 1990) and also for some reason the screen was zoomed in 200%. I was on it for a few hours (in which time I quickly backed up all important files). Today I tried again and it switched on first time. I was on it for another two hours but suddenly without warning it switched off and once again I can't start it up. Each time I press the power switch it lights up but there is no sound from the drive.

I don't think overheating is the solution as it won't switch on even if I've left it unplugged overnight.

One piece of information that I didn't tell you is that I didn't use my Mac for several months prior to these problems. Several months ago it worked absolutely fine, then I went away for a few months and first time I used my Mac it cut off and then I couldn't boot up for a few days.

Apple Mac G4 won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.