Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto crashing

My iPhoto Version 8.1.2 has crashed twice now on my Macbook OS X Version 10.7.5. I receive the error message, "Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable. Shut down and restart your computer and then reopen iPhoto again. if the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command Keys pressed. You can also try restoring your Photo Library from a backup. i've now lost my photos twice. I followed these instructions but they didn't seem to solve the problem.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 2:50 PM

12 replies

Apr 27, 2015 3:52 PM in response to irmafromnanaimo

when you follow the instructions as yu stated you did you will get a first aid window - what happened after you rebuilt the library from it as instructed?

if the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command Keys pressed.

Did restoring your backup as further instructed if rebuilding did not work help?

You can also try restoring your Photo Library from a backup.

LN

Apr 27, 2015 4:14 PM in response to irmafromnanaimo

No - upgrading probably will not make things better and probably will make things worse - your problem is a data problem not an applications problem

again what exactly happened after you rebuilt the library form the first aid window as instructed

if the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command Keys pressed.

LN

Apr 27, 2015 5:30 PM in response to LarryHN

OK, I tried it all again. I restarted my computer and opened iPhoto with the Option Command keys and when i received the options of how I wanted it rebuilt, I chose all that were available. It all took quite a while and then that error message that i quoted above, came up again. So I seem to be caught in a circle. I am at a loss at how to fix this. Thanks for staying with me to try to get this resolved.

May 4, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks. I've been out of commission for a week so have just now tried to follow your instructions. I am able to import pictures but I do have a concern. 1. This is the second time I am having to import pictures as it has crashed before. I would like to know what has caused this and is my iPhoto program reliable. 2. The pictures I am able to import are not the ones I lost, clearly. This are being imported from other folders. your response to my concerns is appreciated.

May 4, 2015 12:22 PM in response to irmafromnanaimo

Well that was a test. Now try repair the main Library:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

May 7, 2015 9:47 AM in response to irmafromnanaimo

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• DownloadIPhoto Library Manager 4 for OS XC 10.6.8 and iPhoto 8.1.2 and later or iPhoto Library Manager 3 (for OS X 10.5.8 and iPhoto 7.1.5 and earlier) and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu (iPLM 3) or Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu (iPLM 4) option.
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

User uploaded file

iPhoto crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.