Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Airport Express speed up my Macbook Pro's Wifi Connection?

Hey all

Just a thought, I'm with Virgin Media for my broadband and my Macbook and iPhone can be rather slow on the network. Plenty of devices on but my parents broadband speed should be plenty to manage them all.

My question is, if I purchased an Airport Express, would that maybe speed up my Wifi connection on my Macbook?

Not to sure so thought I'd ask 🙂

Thanks

Rob

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Virgin Media Super Hub

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 1:41 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

My router and the Airport Express is located directly beneath my bedroom so within perfect range I'd say. I get between 2-3 out of 3 bars of wifi signal on my iPhone and 4/4 bars on my Macbook so I'd say I'm close enough however I have been thinking of trailing a network cable from the router to the airport express through the floor and putting the airport express in the same room as me.

Thanks

Rob

Apr 28, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Rash-Fires

A typical ceiling will absorb, on average, anywhere from about 30-50% of a WiFi signal, so you will get much better performance if you locate the AirPort Express right where you need it.....in your room.....and then connect it back to the modem/router using an Ethernet cable.

There is no signal loss through the Ethernet cable up to 300+ feet or about 100 meters.

Can Airport Express speed up my Macbook Pro's Wifi Connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.