Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thoughts on using iTunes to identify voicemail messages?

iTunes is designated as the default player for MP3 files on my PC, where each of my business line voicemail messages arrives as an attachment to an email. As a result, whenever I click on such an attachment to listen to it, iTunes "sees" that voicemail messages and lists it in My Music," where it is identified only by the cryptic filename assigned to that MP3 file by the voicemail system's numerical naming convention. For example, one such voicemail has a filename of "77124.mp3", which shows up in "My Music" as "77124".

I really needed a way to organize, find, and easily retrieve these voicemail messages anyway, so I'm considering using iTunes to help with this. I'm thinking I could download a copy of each voicemail attachment after I've listened to it, then use iTunes' existing fields to identify the message as follows:

song name = actual file name (already populated)

artist = Name of caller

album = date of call (yyyymmdd format)

composer = Name of business matter (could be company name)

genre = 1voicemail (I created this genre to makes it easier to get to this choice)

Any thoughts about problems I might run into by pursuing this?

Any thoughts about different field assignments I might consider that could provide better sorting options?

Any different suggestions?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.2, Home Sharing

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:15 PM

1 reply

Apr 27, 2015 3:40 PM in response to pdalton

iTunes recognizes Voice Memos as a separate file type. If yours arrive as simple MP3 files you can change that in iTunes.

Select one or more of these files, right-click, then select Get Info. Select the Options tab, then click on the Media Kind pull down menu and select Voice Memo. The advantage of this is that now you can create a Smart Playlist based on this file format.

How you use the various tags is entirely up to you. There are many more fields than the once you listed. I would suggest using fields that are not normally used for Music or Videos, just to keep them separate.

User uploaded file

Thoughts on using iTunes to identify voicemail messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.