Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

base station causing interference with cable modem

I have a late model apple airport extreme base station with time machine. The unit is placed next to the cable box (that provides phone service) that connects to the modem that connects to the base station. When the base station is turned on and working (we use wifi ) there is a nuisance noise in the phones when making and receiving a call for the first 20 to 30 seconds and then disappears. When the base station is disconnected there are no problems with the phones.

Is there such a thing as shielding for the cable box and/or modem? Or is there a simpler solution?

Thanks in advance!

Luc

airport extreme base station-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 2:16 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 3:26 PM in response to LPT Enviro

What kind of broadband are you actually using.

If this is adsl or vdsl you must use a phone filter on the phone.. otherwise the high freq signal will get into the phone circuit and cause trouble.

If you have another sort of system you will have to be explicit about what type it is.. but phone is generally immune when you use fibre or HFC cable etc.. It is only ADSL type systems that have this issue.

However there is problem if you use DECT phones on 2.4ghz or 5ghz and the freq happens to be shared with the wifi system of the router.. it seldom presents as noise but poor range or poor wifi.

Apr 28, 2015 6:14 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi thanks for your response.

I use a VOIP phone system provided by the cable company (no phone filters required). The VOIP connects to an analog phone management system called Talkswitch. So I have three VOIP lines connecting to the Talkswitch box and 7 lines leaving the Talkswitch box connecting to analogue phones (wired) throughout the office. So to recap:

Cable company line connects to a VOIP Box (ARIS TM604G).

A modem (Thompson DCM475) connects to the the VOIP Box and to the Apple Extreme Base station (with Time Machine).

Three phone lines connect the VOIP Box directly to the Talkswitch Box. The Talkswitch Box is NOT connected to the Apple Base Station.

The server (Mac Mini) is wired to the Apple Base Station.

When I make or receive a call there is a buzzing sound in the line. Sound disappears after 20 to 30 seconds.

When I turn the Base Station off (disconnect) the buzzing sound disappears.

When I leave the Base Station ON and I connect a phone directly to the VOIP Box, there is no buzzing.

I can only assume that the Base Station is interfering with something. Is it the Talkswitch box or the phone cables?

Should I move the Base Station further from the Talkswitch box? or Use shielded cables (which ones)? Or is there another solution? Or is it a voltage problem?

Thanks!

Luc

PS : I did not have this problem with the older Apple Base Station. Is the new one too powerful?

Apr 28, 2015 12:12 PM in response to LPT Enviro

I solved my problem!!!

By separating the Base Station from the Talkswitch PBX box with a sheet of aluminium foil rolled around a shallow cardboard box!! I simply placed the Talkswitch pbx inside the shallow aluminum foil covered cardboard box. The Base Station is located on a shelve below the Talkswitch.

No more interference!!!

So the Base station does interfere with the phone management system after all....

Apr 29, 2015 3:21 PM in response to LPT Enviro

What model is the base station?

Let me suggest you move it away from the voip box.. plug it into a different power outlet and run an ethernet cable between the modem and the airport in the new location.. the best cure for interference is space.. lots of simple distance.

Otherwise the process of finding where the interference is complicated and expensive..

I find it most surprising on a corded phone system.

The usual methods of fixing are simple replacement.. test with a different wireless router.. at least that is easy to do.

Your voip box is probably an expensive unit and difficult to replace as is the modem.

base station causing interference with cable modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.