Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the "Replace an existing device" process transfer the accounts and shared files?

I am replacing an Airport Time Capsule with another. I see the "Replace an existing device" process will transfer the TC settings but will it transfer the accounts and the related shared discs/files before it resets the old TC to the default settings.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 2:26 PM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Mac_Over_PC

In theory, yes. In practice, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

It would not hurt to try....it might work....saving you some additional setup time.

Make note of all the settings on the old Time Capsule though so you will have a record of them, or take screenshots of each important setup page.....before.....you try the the "replace" option.

Let us know on your results.

Apr 27, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Mac_Over_PC

Reading your original question again. Only the settings that you see in AirPort Utility will transfer over if things work OK.

Actual data on the hard drive will NOT transfer. That will be a separate process that you will need to perform manually if you want to do this.

When the old TC is reset to default settings, the data on the Time Capsule hard drive will not be affected. So, once you transfer the data from the drive, you would probably want to erase the drive if you don't plan to keep the old Time Capsule.

Apr 27, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Mac_Over_PC

The accounts were transferred to the new TC but not the files.

The "accounts" are simply the names of folders. The actual files are on the old hard drive.

Remember, we said above that data on the hard drive is not transferred during the new TC setup.....only the settings in AirPort Utility will transfer......if everything goes well.

Sorry, I do not use the Accounts feature of the TC......so not sure how to help at this point.

Will the "Replace an existing device" process transfer the accounts and shared files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.