Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Airport Extreme 2nd Gen. 802.11n.

Installing Airport Extreme 2nd Gen. 802.11n. Install utility disc and get to "destination select" and tells me "Airport can't be installed on this disc, the version of Mac OS X is not supported. What do I do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:25 PM

30 replies

Apr 27, 2015 5:08 PM in response to zildjian73

Getting a 6-8 year old AirPort up and running will either be quick and easy or almost impossible. It all depends. We will try.

The install disk is at least 6 years out of date. Toss it in the trash bin.

You already have the most up to date utility on your Mac.

Look in Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

If the previous owner updated the firmware on the AirPort Extreme, then the set up will not be too difficult. If he did not, things are going to be extremely difficult.

What modem will the AirPort Extreme connect to?

Are you familiar with how to set up an AirPort on a Mac?

Apr 27, 2015 5:42 PM in response to zildjian73

This is a brand new, never used, just out of the box router.

It might be "new', but it has been sitting somewhere for at least 6 years, and probably close to 8. 😉

The first task will be to locate a Mac that is running an older operating system......like Lion (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x). Might you have an older Mac.....or know someone who has one? A PC that has a Windows version AirPort Utility installed on the device might work.

Apr 27, 2015 5:55 PM in response to zildjian73

"I don't have access to a Mac with that older OS. Can I install it on my mac temporarily?"

Sorry, but no. Unfortunately, we are in the extremely difficult stage that I mentioned earlier.

The first obstacle to overcome is that the firmware on the AirPort Extreme must be updated so that it will work with the Mac that you have.

But, you have to use an older Mac to update the firmware.......which should have been done 6-7 years ago.

Kind of a Catch 22. Maybe you have friend with a PC who would be willing to download and install AirPort Utility for Windows and let you use the PC for an hour or so?

If you are near an Apple Store, maybe they could update the firmware on the AirPort Extreme for you?

Apr 27, 2015 6:03 PM in response to zildjian73

I just checked the service status of the AirPort Extreme that you have......and Apple Support shows it as an Obsolete item.......so while it is worth a try to check with the Apple Store, they may not be able to help.

If you were calling Apple Support, the obsolete status means that they would not be able to help you.....even if you were willing to pay.

Best bet might be to use the PC. Do you know what version of Windows that it is running? XP, Vista, 7, etc?

Installing Airport Extreme 2nd Gen. 802.11n.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.