Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rootkit redirecting

recently i experienced some kind of rootkit on my windows pc, in a manner that almost every webpage i tried to go to, it loaded the webpage wkpg.org. i tried for a long time to get rid of it but ended up formating my entire harddrive using gparted from linux, and im now in the process of reinstalling windows and im sure problem willbeen solved, but also more annoyingly is that at the same time my pc started doing this, my iphone did aswell... i have done a full erase of my iphone twice now and the problem still exists, being redirected to wpkg.org, this happens not only in the browser but in apps too like stumbleupon... what can i do?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:17 PM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2015 5:34 PM in response to alikesi90

Try using another internet connection such as a cellular data connection or another wifi network.

It is possible for routers to be modified to send you to malicious sites, you need to see if the device(s) behave correctly on another network.

This page has some info on that topic.

http://www.thesafemac.com/how-to-manage-a-hacked-wireless-router/

If the iPhone does continue to be redirected on other networks you will need to erase & restore the device, however it seems unlikely that it is hacked with the same malicious software unless you have discovered something new. It seems more likely that the network is compromised, so try ruling that out first, obviously you will want to backup the device to iTunes or iCloud before that.

Apr 27, 2015 6:16 PM in response to alikesi90

Because those work the same on the phone as your computer, they hijack your browser. By clearing all data and history from your phone you also cleared the cookies.

You are going to a site that has been hacked, if you continue to do so this will keep happening. If you can narrow down which one it is contact the webmaster and let them know what is happening.

rootkit redirecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.