Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Mac Pro 1.1 Lion

Just sharing and soliciting advice.

I added a Crucial M500 SSD for Lion giving new life to my aging Mac Pro. So over this past weekend I decided to do the same with the Bootcamp Vista on an aging 80 hard drive which I'm guessing is now at least 5 or 7 years old. Getting slow and all.

I bought the new Crucial BX100 SSD, they have discontinues the M500 series, and with a price $20 less than the M500. Well I added Snow Leopard first for the older driver support. I was amazed SL installed so easily and talk about speed boost. Then I partition and added Vista with bootcamp. Again very issues.

One thing I do laugh about and kick myself over is trying to write to NTFS from SL. Long story short forgot about USB Blu Ray LG drive and got Apple drivers for the Vista partition. Same speed boost, but I found that Vista hangs on SP1 updates. Going to try again later on today.

Any suggestions or questions is appreciated. I do recommend SSD for giving old Mac Pros a second life. I might eager enough to try an old G5 iMac.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 1TB SSD 3HDD 11GbRAM ATI Rad HD5770

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:00 PM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2015 9:19 AM in response to The hatter

TThe 32 bit probably doesnt or properly has it but it boots up quick and is very responsive but exactly as snow leopard or lion. I have the same issue. Won't run the 5770 Radeon card I used to replace the original video card. Can't directly download the updated drivers like I did on the Vista hard drive. ATI is using some kind of LAME adware utility to put in my Mac Pro to update the drivers.

I out Lion in bat 2 and Vista in bay 1 to load updates but seems to get stuck on SP1. When I get home I'm going to remove Lion and remove SL partition and try updating Vista. At this point I'd rather put Windows 7 32bit but I'd rather spend the

money this weekend in San Diego. 🙂

not an easy choice but I one I'm glad to make.

Apr 28, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Robert Pena

Success. Manually installed the updates and drivers I needed to for Bootcamp Vista on a SSD. Running so flawlessly. I am amazed how much more bang I am getting out of my trusty Mac Pro 1.1 from 2006-2007.

On top of that I am still using the Cinema Display from an old PowerMac G4 MDD. I still have the dimming display issue that I can't turn up through Vista. I have to reboot into OS X to do that.

Otherwise I am happy little Mac user.

BTW I have also come to appreciate the 'it just works' design with my Macs. Forgotten how much of hassle it can be with Windows especially with drivers and software.

SSD Mac Pro 1.1 Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.