Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup a network printer via Ethernet on Airport Express

I have a Brother MFC-8480DN network-ready All-in-one, which connects to a network via Ethernet. The Airport Express has, in the past worked if I temporarily connect the printer via USB, and then go into the Airport utility (under Tiger - 10.4) and click the printer sharing tab, which is missing under Yosemite. The printer works while connected via USB, but when I did that earlier, the printer would quit before completing print jobs. However, after getting it working via Ethernet, it worked just fine. Under Yosemite, the Airport utility has an "Add WPS printer" menu item under "Base Station," which is greyed out, so I cannot use that method. Has anybody else set up an Ethernet network-ready printer using Airport Express under Yosemite (as, in effect, a print server on my existing wireless network)?

Airport Express-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:20 PM

6 replies

Apr 27, 2015 5:31 PM in response to rjbeitz

Under Yosemite, the Airport utility has an "Add WPS printer" menu item under "Base Station," which is greyed out, so I cannot use that method

Try open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort icon, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears......(since you want to Edit settings)

Now click on the Base Station menu and then click on Add WPS Printer

I'm confused though, since WPS adds a printer using wireless....and you indicate that you want to connect the printer using Ethernet. To do that, I would suggest that you check the printer setup guide for the procedure to set up a network printer. This is different from setting up a USB or Wireless printer.

Apr 28, 2015 5:54 PM in response to rjbeitz

Sorry, but I cannot duplicate the error that you are reporting, even after a number of attempts on two different AirPort routers that I have here.

As you can see, the screenshot from my AirPort Utility clearly indicates that the WPS setting is available, and not grayed out.

User uploaded file

Can you try a different Mac.....or use AirPort Utility on an iPhone or iPad to see if the setting appears?

To access the setting on an iPhone or iPad.....

Tap to open AirPort Utility

Tap on the AirPort router

Tap Edit

Tap Advanced

Scroll down to see the Add WPS Printer option

If that will not work for you, I am out of ideas. Perhaps another user can help.

Setup a network printer via Ethernet on Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.