Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blocked LAN ip address

i have a imac (snow leopard) as the database server for a POS system. it also is used as the main register for the POS. a second mac (mini - mountain lion) was used, sometimes as a register, sometimes for POS maintenance (inventory, etc.). at some point the ML mini refused to 'see' the DB server; i couldn't establish any communication between the two, even tho' the ML mini could still access the internet, and LAN peripherals (remote speakers, network printer, NAS backup drive).

this communication failure only applied the to ML mini. there are another mini and another imac running snow leopard, and a macbook running mountain lion; all can run the POS user software and connect to the DB server without problems.

the LAN is handled by an newish airport extreme, with the DB server having a reserved ip address. i changed the reserved address for the DB server, and that solved the problem. except that 2 months later, the blockage occurred on the ML mini. this time i swapped it with the snow leopard mini before changing the DB server's ip reservation. problem solved (again) with all macs being able to connect to DB server. the swap was only their physical locations in the store; the entire network is wireless.

now the snow leopard mini is having the same problem (tho' this time the mountain lion mini is not). snow leopard mini has all LAN/WAN access except for DB server.

ao i'm thinking it's the DB server mac, not the POS clients. but either way, i'm more windows-based and only mildly network-literate, so i don't know where to look on a mac to see why it would decide to block an ip address, nor how to flush/reset/??? such configuration should i find it. i can keep changing the DB server's ip reservation every month or so, but i would prefer to find the underlying problem and correct it once and for all.

any suggestions on where to start looking? (or if this is not the right community which might be?)

Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:31 PM

8 replies

Apr 28, 2015 6:24 AM in response to BDAqua

hmmm. i thought reserving an address in the router was based on the computer's MAC address and should never be assigned via DHCP to any other computer. also, none of the other macs lose the ability to communicate to the DB server (and if i check, DB server does have the reserved address).

windows pcs generally report ip address conflicts on a LAN. is there any logging or a way to check this on OS X?

Apr 28, 2015 9:16 AM in response to BDAqua

i have checked the ip's for the DB server and the problem mac when the connection issue occurs. the DB server has the reserved address; the problem mac has a random (tho' consistent) ip from the DHCP pool. i will look in the console (for both machines) for relevant messages as suggested, and also check the ip's on all of the macs (both on the individual machines and whatever i can find in the airport extreme).

Apr 28, 2015 12:51 PM in response to BDAqua

sorry, i should have cleared this up earlier.

DB server does not have a static ip address, but requests an address via DHCP. a static address would definitely have to be outside of the DHCP pool; if not, sooner or later there would be ip conflicts.

with a reserved address, the DHCP server internally holds an address from the DHCP pool, but will only give it to the network adapter with the matching correct MAC address. i tend to set up reservations for LAN devices like servers, network printers, NAS drives, etc.

i may change the DB server to have a static address (outside of the DHCP pool), but as no other machine has this problem (nor, when it's happening, do any of the machines try to connect to a possible duplicate ip) i still lean towards it being something else.

that doesn't mean giving it a static address is not a solution, just that it's not duplicated ip assignments (impossible via DHCP ?), and would like to understand why the DB server and the POS client machine fall into this non-communicative state.

Apr 28, 2015 2:07 PM in response to mackiemesser

We'd both like to understand! 🙂

It shouldn't be possible to get duplicated IPs using DHCP, but I'm thinking an electron flipping bits now & again may be what is messing with it, since it seems mostly out of your control, & the thought was a Static IP may or may not prevent it, or might even provide a small clue.

PS. Macs aren't as good handling/using MACs as PCs, at least in the versions of OSX I use most.

blocked LAN ip address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.