Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orientation locked, lower screen unresponsive

iPhone 4 with 7.1.2 iOS version 32Gb version.

I think I just might have dropped it on the carpet, it fell on the back (not on the screen side).

Now the lower side of the screen isn't responsive (at all). By lower, I mean exactly to cover the quickbar...the wrost part is that I locked the view a few days ago, and now I can't even go in landscape mode, since the lower part isn't responding to touch, man tasks are tidious, like using space, changing characters, using the hotbar etc. And above all, opening the control center, I can't find another way to open the control center other than swiping from bellow in the up direction, which is impossible now, so I won't be able to use flashlight or unlock the scree orientation, as well as access other utilities like music/wifi/plane mode quick.

The phone is out of warranty, so probably just a diagnostic + screen replacement or something from a genius might cost me as much as a new one, I would try to thinker it myself after following youtube videos on this topic, but I don't trust myself. I am ready to live with the guilt and do some extra steps when using the phone, as long as I am able to unlock the view...which I can not so far. Is there a way through iTunes to do it or any options in the settings?

So far I only restarted the phone by letting the battery drain and putting it to charge...I would try a restore backup function if I wouldn't be afraid I might encounter the need to use the lower side of the phone and get stuck without even a functional phone...Right now it works as usual, it's just that lower side (like maybe 15% of the screen maybe) which doesn't work. I might think trying a few old fashioned smacks, which might do the trick, but it seems a bit drastic.

So basically two main questions:

1. Advice regarding fixing the lower screen.
  2. How to access control panel without using the swipe from down to up movement or just how to unlock the orientation.

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:29 PM

There are no replies.

Orientation locked, lower screen unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.