Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what does error code 00xFBdaig76Qddr-OS-MAC20 mean?

I think I have a virus that keeps telling me to call an 800 # to get it fixed. Only happens on Safari, not Firefox. Gives me an error code of 00xFBdaig76Qddr-OS-MAC20. Does anyone know what this is?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 4:41 PM

12 replies

Apr 27, 2015 4:45 PM in response to mfraunfelder

It may be a Web scam that only affects your browser, and only temporarily. There are several ways to recover.

1. Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press the key combination command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

2. Press and hold command-W. You may hear repeating alert sounds. While holding the keys, click the OK button in the popup. A different popup may appear, which you can cancel out of as usual.

3. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

4. If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. None of the windows and tabs will reopen.

After closing the malicious page, from the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Apr 28, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc. I'll save this the next time I get into a similar bind. I googled the error code and came up with a dialogue between a user and a tech. I worked through the dialogue and eventually downloaded Adware Medic. After finishing a search, Medic found about 8 or 9 suspicious files, which I deleted. Everything seems be working correctly now.

Thanks again for the reply.

Mark

Apr 28, 2015 8:11 AM in response to mfraunfelder

Running an unknown application that you found in a web search is very much not the right way to solve this kind of problem. You're never more vulnerable to being scammed on the Internet than when you search for advice about how to deal with an Internet scam. You should have contacted Apple Support by clicking the Support link at the top of this page, or made a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Apr 29, 2015 9:11 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks Thomas.

I understand Linc's hesitation and would not normally use software I find by Googling. As I stated above, I found a dialogue that didn't directly point to Adaware Medic, but took the original user through 6 or 7 other steps, none of which helped the original user (with the same error code). At the end of the dialogue, the tech recommended Adaware Medic. I had already downloaded and applied Medic by the time Linc replied or I would have tried his suggested solution. I have a feeling more people will need these tips.

Thanks to both Linc and Thomas. This is the most response I've ever gotten on this these Community chats.

Apr 29, 2015 7:49 PM in response to mfraunfelder

Just curious, is this the page you found?

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/926tm-trying-open-eztv-safari-macbook-pr o.html

Those folders are hidden for a reason. True professionals would want to automate everything like this with a script. Trying to do it manually is too risky, especially in the case technical support via internet forum.

There is a lot of good information and instructions on the internet, but lots of bad stuff too. The best approach would be to get a second opinion here before attempting something.

<Edited by Host>

Apr 29, 2015 8:02 PM in response to mfraunfelder

I'm making this comment for the benefit of others who may find this discussion. You've been told that you should never modify library files on your own. Removing malware is nothing other than deleting files. You can do that yourself, in which case you will know exactly what you've done and how to undo it if you don't like the results. Or can take the advice of strangers, whom you have no reason to trust, to run some unknown application to remove files. In that case, you will be giving a stranger the same degree of control over your computer that you have yourself. You will have no way of knowing what is going to be done before it happens, or what has been done after it happens. You will also have no way of knowing what information might have been extracted from the computer and sent to an unknown destination. These considerations apply to any unknown application that prompts for a password, not "adwaremedic" in particular. You should never take such advice without doing thorough research to determine whether it's valid. No one is to be trusted to do that research for you.

You can judge the truth of the statement referenced above by reading this Apple Support article:

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

The article recommends deleting library files to get rid of adware. So if such suggestions are always made by "scammers," then Apple itself is also a scammer. Draw your own conclusion.

Apr 30, 2015 4:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

Removing malware is nothing other than deleting files. You can do that yourself, in which case you will know exactly what you've done and how to undo it if you don't like the results.

In theory. In reality, borking your system can be nothing other than deleting files. You can do that yourself, too.

You know perfectly well that people mess up manual removal instructions. They've done so with yours, they've done so with Apple's and they've done so with my own, and in some cases end up with an unbootable system and no idea what to do to fix it. The people who do this kind of thing are also exactly the sort of people who probably didn't see or heed the short little sentence you put in your usual advice, reading, "Back up your data before continuing."

There are dangers involved any time someone sets out to remove adware from their computer. However, it deserves far more mention than you give that manual removal instructions can be very dangerous in the hands of those who don't understand them or don't follow them to the letter.

The article recommends deleting library files to get rid of adware. So if such suggestions are always made by "scammers," then Apple itself is also a scammer.

Apple chose to make the user Library folder invisible for some very good reasons. IMHO, they should have done the same with the root-level System and Library folders. Caution should always be taken by anyone messing around in there, or telling people to mess around in there. The fact that Apple also is giving advice to muck with these folders without warnings about the danger simply means that someone at Apple screwed up and got careless.

Don't know where the "scammer" thing came from.

Apr 30, 2015 5:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

The whole purpose of this site is to get help from strangers on the internet. This site was designed by Apple to give people a reason to trust those strangers though the reputation system. People on Apple Support Communities work together to help each other and the people who come here with problems. We support each other and help build a consensus about the best approach to solve a problem.

And Linc, I find your attachment to that Apple tech support article awfully curious. Apple does many things very well. When it comes to building desirable hardware and a profitable ecosystem, Apple clearly has no rival. But when it comes to software quality, Apple is nothing to write home about. That tech support article that you keep citing is a great example. It recommends restarting your machine five times - five times! What is this, Windows? It suggests some adware launchd files are "optional". It is like the author of that article doesn't know the difference between caches and launchd files. It even instructions people to disable useful software that isn't malware or adware. Finally, it even says that the 10.10.3 update will remove adware. Have you looked at the 10.10.3 adware removal script? It only deletes like 3 files.

With all due respect, if you are unable to identify these obvious issues, perhaps you shouldn't be making suggestions in this area.

Apr 30, 2015 6:03 AM in response to mfraunfelder

The arguments made by others in this thread could be summarized this way:

1. You have a security problem. Don't trust Apple; trust me instead.

2. You're incapable of following straightforward instructions. Something terrible will happen! Do what I tell you.

If these argumentswere to believed, you would be at the mercy of any Internet criminal who says the same thing. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because this is an Apple website, the content is endorsed by Apple. Comments have been posted on this site by actual malware attackers, advising people to install their malware, and of course, assuring them that it was safe and that the attacker was trustworthy.

Without doing your own research, you have no way of knowing whether any of what passes for advice on this site is legitimate—and a great deal of it is not. The only safety lies in knowing how to undo the effects if you don't like them. With a black-box application that prompts for a password and accesses the network, that's impossible, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You're being asked to weaken or give up your skepticism of strangers, which is the only dependable defense you will ever have against Internet crime.

Apr 30, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

1. You have a security problem. Don't trust Apple; trust me instead.

Unfortunately, Apple's track record on security is very poor. Like others, I used to tell people to trust Apple where security was concerned. But I was wrong. That was before Apple introduced major security bugs and left users vulnerable for years. Currently, all versions of OS X from 10.7 to 10.10.2 have active security vulnerabilities that Apple says it is unable to fix. All of this is publicly documented.

The value in this site is that no one ever says "trust me instead". Anyone is free to add a reply and help build a consensus. You are the only one who regularly tells people to not trust that consensus.

2. You're incapable of following straightforward instructions. Something terrible will happen! Do what I tell you.

If these argumentswere to believed, you would be at the mercy of any Internet criminal who says the same thing. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because this is an Apple website, the content is endorsed by Apple. Comments have been posted on this site by actual malware attackers, advising people to install their malware, and of course, assuring them that it was safe and that the attacker was trustworthy.

While anything is possible, I have never seen anything like that happen on this site. If it did, there would certainly be an overwhelming consensus against said attacker. Sometimes representatives from antivirus or "clean up" software attempt to defend their legitimate, albeit not recommended software, and they are the ones attacked by the consensus.

We have no control over who reads the suggestions on this site. Maybe they are capable of following those instructions and maybe they aren't. We have a responsibility to all of them to give them the safest suggestions we can. I have seen people recently attempt to follow such instructions and accidentally delete all of their data. I have seen someone recently attempt to follow your instructions and delete all of their e-mail. If people don't have backups, losing all of there irreplaceable data, photos, documents, etc. would be terrible indeed.

You're being asked to weaken or give up your skepticism of strangers, which is the only dependable defense you will ever have against Internet crime.

Sorry, Linc. Apple Support Communities is not a hotbed of internet crime. As anyone can see form this very thread. It is heavily moderated by Apple staff. It is designed to provide a safe venue for people to get advice from strangers. That is the whole point of it.

what does error code 00xFBdaig76Qddr-OS-MAC20 mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.