Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power PC on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Hi, I recently bought a book that comes with DVD's about surgery.

My problem is that when I try to watch those DVD's on my mac book pro, with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, comes a message of error, saying that my system is not compatible with power pc anymore and the DVD does not play.

I entered in contact with the support of elsevier and they answered that the problem is with my OS system, that after last actualization is no more compatible with power pc, that is needed to play the DVD. To solve my problem they said that it can run in any WINDOWS pc.

Is this the only way to solve my problem ? Will I have to give away my mac and buy an windows pc ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:44 PM

PowerPC (PPC) is a Motorola chip that is obsolete, Apple replaced it 10 years ago with an Intel. Your software is also obsolete, because the developer is 10 years out of date. If they sold it to you as being compatible with current (rather than 10 year old) Macs, they lied.

You can install Windows on your Mac, provided that the developer is telling the truth about the Windows version.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2015 5:44 PM in response to MarceloSalaOliveira

PowerPC (PPC) is a Motorola chip that is obsolete, Apple replaced it 10 years ago with an Intel. Your software is also obsolete, because the developer is 10 years out of date. If they sold it to you as being compatible with current (rather than 10 year old) Macs, they lied.

You can install Windows on your Mac, provided that the developer is telling the truth about the Windows version.

Apr 27, 2015 5:51 PM in response to MarceloSalaOliveira

In the book says that the minimum required system is: MAC OS 10.4 or higher

2ghz or faster cpu

2gb ram

8x or faster dvd room drive

vga monitor 1280x960

But does not says that if I have the newest system I won't be able to see the DVDs... The book year edition is 2011, it's not a 10 year obsolete book.

I was looking for ways to solve the problem and found something aboute "rosetta", a software. How could I get this?

Apr 27, 2015 5:54 PM in response to MarceloSalaOliveira

MarceloSalaOliveira wrote:

In the book says that the minimum required system is: MAC OS 10.4 or higher

2ghz or faster cpu

2gb ram

8x or faster dvd room drive

vga monitor 1280x960

But does not says that if I have the newest system I won't be able to see the DVDs... The book year edition is 2011, it's not a 10 year obsolete book.

PPC is a very old and obsolete technology, it will not run on your Mac unless in emulation, the Windows version would be better, at least it is being developed, unlike the Mac version.

Apr 27, 2015 5:56 PM in response to MarceloSalaOliveira

I was looking for ways to solve the problem and found something aboute "rosetta", a software. How could I get this?

Rosetta was more of a courtesy to allow users a change over period between PPC and Intel software. It was last seen in Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and has not been available to install in any future OSXs.

Pete

Apr 27, 2015 8:14 PM in response to MarceloSalaOliveira

These are likely NOT videos (exclusively)

My guess (an educated one) is that these DVDs have Macromedia/Adobe Director apps and/or files on them. To find out, pop one in, let it fail to autorun, then select it in the Finder. In List View, showing the full filenames with extensions, take a screenshot and post it.

I would be interested in the top level of foldering, and especially files with icons like these

User uploaded file

.dir will open in Adobe Director - it is a data file not an app

.exe is Windows Runtime Player referencing other media on the DVD

.osx is the problematic one - PPC Runtime Player

,dcr is a Director Shockwave file that MAY play in a browser window that has the Shockwave for Director Plug-in installed

My estimation is that although the BOOK is a late model edition, the Director content was FIRST Edition

The DVDs may well have authorship credentials on the labels and/or Copyright statement that will help answer my curiosities and MAYBE get some of it viewable if the developers are long gone (also likely)

Barring all this brouhaha, running in Windows may be your path of least resistance.

ÇÇÇ

May 19, 2015 12:33 PM in response to MarceloSalaOliveira

Your problem is similar to the one faced by many college students who obtain textbooks, primarily from Pearson. These textbooks contain CD-ROMs that are written for the PowerPC CPU formerly used in Mac from 1996 until 2006.

Rosetta was the transparent emulation software that Apple bundled with OS X Tiger (Intel) 10.4.x, Leopard 10.5.x and Snow Leopard 10.6.x. Subsequent versions of OS X, including Yosemite cannot run Rosetta natively.

You have two options to use your current Yosemite Mac:

1) Install WIndows in Bootcamp and/or a virtualization program such as Parallels, and run your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM in the Windows environment.

2) Install Snow Leopard Server ($19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only)) into Parallels 10 (14 day free trial - http://trial.parallels.com/ ) and run your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM in the Snow Leopard environment.

Here is a demo educational CD-ROM that I purchased from Amazon so as to be able to test and confirm that it would run in Snow Leopard installed in Parallels:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 10 for DUMMIES:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17285039&postcount=564

Power PC on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.