Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto and imovie files

I have imported video in two ways over the years -- using iPhoto more recently and using iMovie in the past. I do understand that I can view my iPhoto videos in iMovie, but my question is more about how to best store/organize my video. Specifically, I am wondering if there is a better and more "organized" way of consolidating and storing my video in one spot, as opposed to having some of it in iMovie and the rest in iPhoto.

(I recognize that iPhoto is no longer supported, but I have not yet switched to Photos and do not intend to do so unless and until I have no other choice).

Any input would be appreciated.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 5:47 PM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2015 11:12 PM in response to donhoos66

There's no right answer, only the one that's right for you.

Here's what I do:

Import the video to the editor (in my case FCP X but the principal is the same) Edit it and process it. Export it to iTunes. (Yes, iTunes) for sharing with devices)

Then I archive or delete the source material.

If you edit the material I would go first to the editor then to iPhoto or iTunes (as you prefer).

If you don't edit the material then skip that step entirely.

Apr 28, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the info. A few related questions:

(1) How would I export all of my iMovie videos to iPhoto at once, or is it something that I need to do one video at a time?

(2) Other than the risk associated with iPhoto no longer being supported, am I increasing my risk of something going wrong by combining a 1TB iMovie library with a 1.4TB iPhoto library. In other words, is creating a 2.4TB iPhoto library just asking for problems such as slow speed, crashes, etc.?

(3) Lastly, I assume that my actual photo and video files exist somewhere on my computer outside of iPhoto and iMovie (although I could be wrong). Is there a reason to back up those actual files separate and independent of iMovie/iPhoto....just in case?

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2015 11:36 AM in response to donhoos66

1. I don't know. I'd ask that on the iMovie forum.

2. As long as you have enough disk space, no. The "weight" of the Library doesn't matter as much as the number roof items. An iPhoto library is nominally good for 1,000,000 items in any one library. Yes as it grows, it will take a little longer to load, but not excessively so. Of course, the only protection against something going wrong is a good, up-to-date back up, and ideally, more than one.

3. I don't believe so - bearing in mind what I say above - but it's easy to do: just export the Original files.

iphoto and imovie files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.