Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

media management questions

If I move a project from one library to an event in a different library, will it duplicate the media if that media exists in a different event in the new library? I think a project that is in one event can use media from a different event, but I don't know if the overall library itself looks for duplication in media from different events. Is the project in any way tied to the event its in?

I have some projects that exist in different libraries, but use a lot of the same video footage. I'm hoping I can move them to a new library (keeping the various projects in separate events) and duplication of the media. Do the projects have to be moved to the same event to avoid media duplication? If the media is duplicated in two events, would combining the two events eliminate the duplicated media?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 6:33 PM

1 reply

Apr 28, 2015 1:51 AM in response to Dale Garber

You definitely need to consider External Media. If several libraries need to use the same media, it does not make sense to have lots of copies wasting disk space. External media sits in the folders you want and is only referenced by the library. So one single movie file can be used by a thousand libraries, each having only a tiny "pointer" to it (a symbolic link is the technical term, and it is similar to a Finder alias).

Regarding projects and events, a project can use media from a different event in the same library, but you can't use media from a different library.

media management questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.